ISO comments/advice on silicone cookie sheets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
anybody tried any of these or are the shiny metal cookie sheets just better?

If nice shiny cookie sheets were non-stick there would be no reason to use baking parchment paper, or silicone baking mats.

I broke down and got a silicone mat one night when I stopped to compare the price per use to the cost of a roll of parchment paper. After 7 years - my cookie sheet is still bright and shiny. I've never been sorry.

I just stumbled across an old issue of Cooks Illustrated/American's Test kitchen, with a long discussion of cookie sheets. They concluded that the shiny ones are best, using parchment or Silpat, as others have said. Have to admit that I have shied away from Silpat (I know, I know - everyone who uses it likes it) because I can't help but think that some of the silicon vaporizes off into the food, kinda like we thought teflon was OK for many years, and now we know it isn't. Call me paranoid. A couple of years ago, a friend gave me a whole set of Kitchenaid baking "pans" (bundt cake, loaf pan, muffin pan, etc.) I've never used them. Just makes me nervous - maybe for no reason. So I use parchment.

... They concluded that the shiny ones are best, using parchment or Silpat, as others have said. Have to admit that I have shied away from Silpat (I know, I know - everyone who uses it likes it) because I can't help but think that some of the silicon vaporizes off into the food, kinda like we thought teflon was OK for many years ... So I use parchment.

The parchment paper used in cooking/baking is just a high-density plant fiber paper impregnated, or coated, with silicone. Due to it's paper base - it is more likely to smoke and break down at a lower temperature than a silicone mat, or silicone bakeware.

silicone

So what is the best brand of silicone? Is the smartware on TV any good? Is there something specific to look for? I've tried to read reviews, but they all seem to have some who love and some who hate no matter what maker. Some stain easily, others stick, and yet others keep the smell of whatever was cooked first with them.:huh:

I don't know anything about the silicone bakeware, GoldenRule. I only use the flat baking mats - 2 are Silpat brand, 2 are Exopat brand, and 1 I don't remember the brand name - I just remember it was something other than Silpat or Exopat that I picked up at the restaurant supply house that fit the cookie sheet I got there.

Thank you all for replies. I haven't heard of these brands. I take it that all the ones you mention are good for cookies, then. Has anyone used silicone for cakes, muffins, bread, casseroles, etc?

I use Silpats too and I love them. But I do have parchment paper for stuff that will be very greasy or has a really strong flavor because I read that they can pick up odors.

Thanks, FM, guess I'm going to have to look for this Silpat brand. It seems to be the keeper: )

Back
Top Bottom