ISO Cookware Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meppwc

Assistant Cook
I have a smooth top electric range and I am looking for the best pots and pans for that type of range. I would prefer not stick type, but would consider other types if they work better on that type of range.

It says not to, but I have been using CI on ours, both enameled and not. I use a CI griddle on the bridge burner settings. We also have a Scanpan nonstick large skillet. That one wasn't cheap.

Do what professional (not celebrity) chefs do: Go to a restaurant supply store and buy yourself some inexpensive non-stick aluminium pots and pans. When the non-stick gets scratched, which it inevitably will, you toss it into the recycle bin and go buy a replacement. I learned from experience that there is no reason to spend a small fortune on stainless tri-ply or anodized non-stick cookware. Once you scratch the coating, you have a hundred dollar paperweight.

Celebrity chefs use All-Clad or Calphalon on their TV shows because the company gives them the pots and pans free-fer-nuthin.

Last edited:
Do what professional (not celebrity) chefs do: Go to a restaurant supply store and buy yourself some inexpensive non-stick aluminium pots and pans. When the non-stick gets scratched, which it inevitably will, you toss it into the recycle bin and go buy a replacement. I learned from experience that there is no reason to spend a small fortune on stainless tri-ply or anodized non-stick cookware. Once you scratch the coating, you have a hundred dollar paperweight.

Celebrity chefs use All-Clad or Calphalon on their TV shows because the company gives them the pots and pans free-fer-nuthin.

+ 1. Could not agree more.

Restaurants use cheap aluminum pans because they get very high use, not because they're the best option for home cooking. I received a set of cheap Farberware pans as a wedding gift and used them for over 20 years. I never did like them much. I bought an All-Clad stainless steel saute pan on the recommendation of Cooks Illustrated and could not believe how much better my cooking was. It's still my go-to pan, although DH gave me a set of Calphalon pans for Christmas several years ago. Quality matters.

I have a gas stove, so I don't know the "rules" regarding flat stoves, but if you can use cast iron, you should be able to use stainless. I only use non-stick for eggs and crepes. Learn to make pan sauces and you won't care whether something sticks ;)

I think the biggest concern with the smooth top electric ranges is actually the top itself. First is just protection of the top, you don't want to be slamming a heavy cast iron pan on it but cast iron will work just fine if you 'set' it down. Second is I think they need good contact with the pan bottom meaning you want a flat bottom on the pan. Thin stainless or aluminum will give you problems down the road. You want something that has some thickness to tho bottom so it stays flat and transfers heat evenly. America's Test Kitchen has a non-stick skillet recommendation, good bet there since it is thick enough to stay flat. Honestly with a good tri-ply stainless for your sauce pans you'll be quite happy since they do heat evenly and usually need a lower heat setting meaning less chance of burning and they do clean up rather easily. Tramontina or up for most, thick aluminum non-stick skillet and you should be set.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom