ISO help with scorched pot bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was boiling a concoction heavy in sugar in my nicest large pot and did a good job of burning some to the bottom.

Will it come out over time, is there a good way to clean it off without heavily abrasive scrubbers, or should I just live with it?

You should remove the residue before using the pot again.

To remove burned on solids, place a small dish of ammonia in the pot and cover it overnight. You should be able to remove any residue more easily in the morning. To assist in removal, use Barkeeper's Friend or similar mild abrasive.

You should remove the residue before using the pot again.

To remove burned on solids, place a small dish of ammonia in the pot and cover it overnight. You should be able to remove any residue more easily in the morning. To assist in removal, use Barkeeper's Friend or similar mild abrasive.

Maybe I wasn't clear; I meant that there is a burn mark but not much if anything that I can feel when I run my finger over it. Should that affect future concoctions?

What do you mean by placing a small dish of ammonia in there? Do you pour the ammonia in, or do the evaporating gasses or something like that affect it?

You should get the pan completely clean. If there is burn residue that you cannot feel, just scrub with BKF. I'm assuming you have a SS pot.

I meant to put a dish of ammonia on the pot so the fumes could work on the residue.

Last edited:
I've never heard about using ammonia. Thanks for that tip! I'll keep it in mind for next time...And there's always a next time!

-Mary

Back
Top Bottom