ISO INDOOR recipes for my "French" Dutch Oven (threads merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boisenewbie

Assistant Cook
I am new here and I did do a search ... but I still can't seem to find what I am looking for.

(I did see that someone asked a similar question - but they were told to look in the DO forum. Well, that doesn't help since that is for outdoor DO's!)

I Googled, I Yahooed, I even Asked Jeeves ... I don't get it! Everyone is talking about their LeCreuset but when you try to find a simple recipe it is all about the campfire!:wacko:

I purchased a gorgeous 6QT Lodge (Blue enamel cast iron) for $39.99 at Amazon:chef: ... Now I'm just not sure what to do with it (besides bake bread)

I am a great cook - I just never used a dutch oven before.

[Edit: merged duplicate threads]

Last edited by a moderator:
First welcome to DC..Glad to have you join us..You can ask your question in our DO area, even though it says outdoors, anyone of our members would gladly help you..I just got a lodge pre seasoned DO about two weeks ago and the first thing I made was some pasta sauce, then I did a stew and am planning to do some baked beans next week.. The possiblilities are endless.
Kadesma

I was told I should post here even if this seems like an outdoor cooking forum.

I just bought a Lodge Enameled Cast-Iron oven (It is now $39.99 for a 6Qt - any color!!!) ... I was calling it a "Dutch" Oven because that is the common name. You see it called that 99.9% of the time -but I did read somewhere that it is technically called a French oven ... I see from reading some posts that calling it a Dutch Oven and not French is as irritating to some people as is calling English Tea-time "High Tea" (when really they mean "Afternoon Tea") is to me. So I vow never to call it a Dutch Oven again!:D

Anyway, I am an awesome cook but I have never used a French Oven before and I need some recipes. I've been searching for over 45minutes but 99% of the links end up being about campfire cooking.

Any help is much appreciated :chef:

Last edited:
Call it whatever you want. Dutch or French. Call it a big sauce pan.

I use mine to make pot roasts, stews, soups, chili. Any kind of dish that requires low and slow cooking.

Any recipe that works in a dutch oven over a campfire sill work in a kitchen on the stovetop or in the oven. Just skip over that part of the recipe that calls for heaping coals on the lid.

the enameld cast iron dutch oven is one of my absolute favorite pots. mine lives on my stovetop and i use it for everything from reheating to roasting vegetables to braising meats.

Your oven is great for anything you want to cook for a long time at an even temperature... keep the lid on and it will keep the juices in too.

Any of you pot roast, briscut, stew, ect recipes will come out great.

I think they call the oval ones "french" and the round ones "dutch" but I could be wrong.

I am new here and I did do a search ... but I still can't seem to find what I am looking for.
(I did see that someone asked a similar question - but they were told to look in the DO forum. Well, that doesn't help since that is for outdoor DO's!)
I Googled, I Yahooed, I even Asked Jeeves ... I don't get it! Everyone is talking about their LeCreuset but when you try to find a simple recipe it is all about the campfire!:wacko:
I purchased a gorgeous 6QT Lodge (Blue enamel cast iron) for $39.99 at Amazon:chef: ... Now I'm just not sure what to do with it (besides bake bread)
I am a great cook - I just never used a dutch oven before.

I have used mine for bread baking too and also for cooking corned beef so far.

No matter what you want to call it - it's just a 6-qt enameled cast iron pot. Cast iron pots have some advantages over pots made from other materials, primarily it's a poor heat conductor which makes it ideal for long and slow cooking because it maintains a more even temperature over a long period of time - especially in an oven where the heat cycles on and off during cooking. Being enameled means it's non-reactive right out of the box - regular cast iron only becomes non-reactive over time as the seasoning layer builds up.

It doesn't need any special recipes - just use any recipe you want that requires a pot of that size - stocks, sauces, stews, soups, chili, roasts, etc. I use a 5-qt anodized aluminum pot for all of these - especially if they are going into the oven.

It's like the self imposed quandary over whether to use a sauté pan or a fry pan if the recipe says to use a skillet! You can sauté in a fry pan, and you can fry in a sauté pan. And, what most companies call a "chicken fryer" is a large capacity sauté pan.

And, just for grins, I'll throw this tidbit of info out: if you go to the Le Creuset website and search on their products - they call oval enameled cast iron pots an "Oval French Oven" and they call the round ones a "Round French Oven".

Le Creuset Cookbook

There are chapters for each type of pot in the Le Creuset cookbook. It's cheap and has several recipes for the dutch oven in a similar size to what you describe. :chef:

Back
Top Bottom