ISO Pressure Cooker Tips/Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Margaux

Cook
I decided to try a new method of cooking, so I went ahead and got a pressure cooker. I've never used one--I grew up with my mother telling me they would explode and take my face off. In fact, I got one with my starter marriage 30 years ago, and I threw it out (along with starter husband). :LOL:
Soooo--does anybody have any tips or personal experience with these? I got two cookbooks by Lorna Sass & I've checked out Miss Vickie's website.
The model cooker I got is the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Top (7 liter). Thanks in advance!

I decided to try a new method of cooking, so I went ahead and got a pressure cooker. I've never used one--I grew up with my mother telling me they would explode and take my face off. In fact, I got one with my starter marriage 30 years ago, and I threw it out (along with starter husband). :LOL:
Soooo--does anybody have any tips or personal experience with these? I got two cookbooks by Lorna Sass & I've checked out Miss Vickie's website.
The model cooker I got is the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Top (7 liter). Thanks in advance!

Except for buying a new one, everything else here could have been written by me! I've also checked out Miss Vickie's site and am interested in looking into a pressure cooker. I just have not gotten up the nerve yet. My mother did send a chicken into orbit with one. I'll never forget that sight!

Do I push the pressure regulator down firmly or just sit it on top of the lid?

Regards Ferguson.

Swiss made? and with 5 over-pressure safety features, one would hope it'll perform a little better than BP's blowout protector. Would'a been nice if it had an aneroid dial type pressure gauge.

I reckon I am woefully out of step with the times. I have been using pressure cookers for decades. I haven't bought a new one in a dozen or so years. Looking at the new models that are out there, I confess I haven't any advice on using those products. I am certain they are safe and easy to use. Read the manual and you should do well.

I have a 10 quart and a 5 quart - oh, did I mention I've moved to a MUCH smaller kitchen??? I refused to give up my pressure cookers, though. I love them. Very very tender and flavorful Corned Beef and Cabbage and New Potatoes in about an hour. Can't count the other dishes I've made - biggest mistake? Chicken and Dumplings - Dumplings don't do well under pressure :ohmy: - should have "knewed" that.

Excellent books are the Pressured Cook, don't remember the author and all my cookbooks are still packed. She gives great for the beginner recipes and techniques.

I was also raised to believe they are dangerous - but have had no safety issues at all!

Be brave and enjoy!

I have a 10 quart and a 5 quart - oh, did I mention I've moved to a MUCH smaller kitchen??? I refused to give up my pressure cookers, though. I love them. Very very tender and flavorful Corned Beef and Cabbage and New Potatoes in about an hour. Can't count the other dishes I've made - biggest mistake? Chicken and Dumplings - Dumplings don't do well under pressure :ohmy: - should have "knewed" that.

Excellent books are the Pressured Cook, don't remember the author and all my cookbooks are still packed. She gives great for the beginner recipes and techniques.

I was also raised to believe they are dangerous - but have had no safety issues at all!

Be brave and enjoy!

I do so love corned beef and cabbage.....an hour, huh?

Hmmm......Hmmmm......

*clicks open amazon to look*

~Kathleen

I have a 7 qt and use from time to time. When the pressure inside builds up it creates super-heated steam. This cooks food quickly. It also tenderizes. Cheaper typically tougher cuts of meat come out fork tender.

Read the manual. Follow the instructions to the letter.

1. Always make sure that the pressure fitting in the lid that the jiggler rests on is clean and free of debris.

2. Make sure to follow the manufacturers printed procedures when opening the lid. Arrange the equipment on your stove so that the lid opens away from you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom