ISO Sturdy Cast Iron Storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the following CI:
8qt camp dutch oven (with feet)
12" chicken fryer w/ lid
10.5" skillet
10.5" griddle (no sides)
10.5" grill pan

Currently they live on the stove, or the counter, because we don't have a viable storage solution yet.

Good methods for storage and easy access? I think I'm not supposed to stack them inside each other.

I'm thinking due to it's size, the dutch oven would need to be stored separately.

Anyone have success with products like this? https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Organizer-Extra-Large/dp/B07VRF665V

Another option, maybe, would be to affix some wood to the insides of a cabinet to support a 1" steel bar across. Then the cast iron could hang from hooks? It's a lot of combined weight.

I have that storage rack on my counter under my hanging pots and pans rack, which makes the space under it pretty much unusable, and my cast iron skillets sit in it vertically, not horizontally. My cauldron, which is what I call my 5 quart cast iron Dutch oven, is stored under the counter.

81dkHzLnfRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
If the cast iron pots and pans are completely dry, there is no reason not to stack them. I even have stacks of two of my enamelled cast iron. I put a tea towel (dish drying towel) between them to keep the top one from scratching the enamel on the bottom one. The only reason I don't stack more together is weight and convenience.

I love cast iron and have quite a bit from my grandmother. When we remodeled our kitchen, I took a suggestion from Julia Child's kitchen by using a pegboard. Not wanting to risk my cast iron on a wooden pegboard, I found this metal one on Amazon. It came in several pretty colors. I also bought these hooks in various sizes for the board.

I have a tiny kitchen, so I used the space behind a door to store my cast iron pans. The hooks make it very accessible and the metal pegboard is amazingly sturdy. Here are a few photos of it in my kitchen. I moved my step stool to the back of the door to make room for a few more pieces such as the cast iron chicken fryer. :LOL:

Prior to this, I sometimes struggled with my stacked cast iron. Just too heavy for me to easily move about.

Attachments

• 2021-01-09.jpg
    2021-01-09.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 2021-01-09 (1).jpg
    2021-01-09 (1).jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 2021-01-27 (3).jpg
    2021-01-27 (3).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
We've moved pieces around and stacked a couple of things since the pictures were taken.

This has been a really good solution for us. I had doubts at first but it worked out well. We started with just two of the boards but it wasn't enough and we got the extra two (we thought it would be that way).

Back
Top Bottom