"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Executive Chef

ISO this vintage cooling rack

I own two of these vintage cooling/baking racks(?) from the 70's or 80's (parent hand me downs). They are 7 1/2" x 6 3/4". I use them in a lot of ways. They fit down inside a square brownie pan just right. I can also set one down in a large skillet for frying if I wish to keep food off the hot pan bottom. The chrome has now worn off somewhat, but I'll not throw them away. All I see for sale nowadays are the longer rectangular cooling/baking racks. Does anyone own a square cooling/baking rack like this? Anyone have a link to buy them if they still even make them?

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:50 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I have several that size that either came from kitchen boxes from my late mom that I sorted through, toaster ovens or other small appliances that I replaced but kept the racks , they can also be found at yard sales, thrift shops, etc.

I like that size because it fits over a dinner plate nicely for draining a small batch of fried foods, or cooling a banana bread or cookies.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:57 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I have several that size that either came from kitchen boxes from my late mom that I sorted through, toaster ovens or other small appliances that I replaced but kept the racks , they can also be found at yard sales, thrift shops, etc.

I like that size because it fits over a dinner plate nicely for draining a small batch of fried foods, or cooling a banana bread or cookies.
I Googled my heart out but gave up looking for them online. I too use them for setting my fish and chips fried fish pieces on after frying. If I set my fried fish to cool on a paper towel or something, it causes the fish batter to go soggy.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I own two of these vintage cooling/baking racks(?) from the 70's or 80's (parent hand me downs). They are 7 1/2" x 6 3/4". I use them in a lot of ways. They fit down inside a square brownie pan just right. I can also set one down in a large skillet for frying if I wish to keep food off the hot pan bottom. The chrome has now worn off somewhat, but I'll not throw them away. All I see for sale nowadays are the longer rectangular cooling/baking racks. Does anyone own a square cooling/baking rack like this? Anyone have a link to buy them if they still even make them?

I found this :

https://www.houzz.com/product/100614...-baking-dishes

Not exact but ...
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Pretty close. 10"x 10" x 1" Thanks for the link. I'll keep looking. Garage sales and thrift shops may be my only hope of finding something really close. The stainless steel coating has almost worn off mine. They aren't as shiny anymore, but I luv that size.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

In light of the conversation about multiple items in our kitchens, I'm wondering why you need more than the two you have?

You could try Ebay.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I gave up after page 10 on eBay. As I said, the stainless steel coating on these are almost gone.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:

I have one that fits perfectly in a 9x13 cake pan. I use it often for roasting.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Maybe just me, but I wouldn't worry in the least about the finish not being new, unless they are rusted.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have a wire rack just like yours, Caslon. It came in, umm, something long gone, so I repurposed it. It also fits perfectly in the toaster oven tray.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #11
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I've had wire racks like that that were actually the racks from a toaster oven - I bet yours is as well.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Thanks, but I'm not sure toaster oven racks would have the raised part (maybe). These square racks have all the stainless steel scrubbed off them, after 30 years plus. I like that size tho. Can't find them now. Sorry. Not a big deal. Forget it.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:53 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

What about a round one like this ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mrs-Anderso...wAAOSwoddaa6Lh
SmokeAlarmSaysImDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:06 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Maybe just me, but I wouldn't worry in the least about the finish not being new, unless they are rusted.
You're right, I won't. I thought shiny new ones would be more non-stick. I wish I knew the origin of these. They are not micro-wave because they have the bent metal part to stand them off from the counter. These were probably just small sized cooling racks in a size they don't make anymore. Did a coating of some kind get scrubbed off?
Old 03-19-2018, 12:48 AM   #15
Executive Chef

OMG!... "How To Make One Feel Old - 101"

I never knew they were 'vintage' - have just always had them since I was first married.

They are used for drying/cooling cakes, cookies, herbs, you name it! The round one has been used in roasting pan multiple times. Yep they have worn metal parts but... that's life!

Sorry, pictures don't show the size - but they are 9" square ones and the round one is 8"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cake racks I.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	29483   Click image for larger version

Name:	cake racks II.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	29484  

Click image for larger version

Name:	cake racks III.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	29485  
Old 03-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I know I have a few of those.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:03 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:

Got two for you, 6 3/4x 7 5/8. Found them in a thrift store today, 50 cents@.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Got two for you, 6 3/4x 7 5/8. Found them in a thrift store today, 50 cents@.
Woo hoo gadzooks! That was so nice of you! +++++++1
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 PM   #19
Sous Chef

blissful, I sent you a message.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:19 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Woo hoo gadzooks! That was so nice of you! +++++++1
I'm confused, blissful. Why are you thanking gadzooks? Caslon is the OP, he's the one that was looking for them. Shouldn't Caslon be thanking gadzooks? I'm confused...

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote