"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,652
It Was Time

About a dozen or more years ago, I bought a three skillet set of non-stick cookware - 8", 10" and 12" for $20. at Costco. The smaller ones get used most for egg dishes. The larger one occasionally for other stuff. SO likes them. Good long service for $20.

It was time, however, to let them go the that big kitchen in the sky and replace them. Back to Costco. A three pan Tramontina set, made in the USA for $25. Inflation is a witch. These should last me until I die.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	20787  
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,230
Oooo, pretty.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 16,077
They look nice, Andy. You'll have to report on how they perform as you put them through their paces.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:06 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 14,551
Nice set Andy. I'm about due too. May we both outlive our non stick pans again.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Nice pans.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,465
As sad as it is to get rid of old friends, is sure is nice to get new ones!!!
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Nice set Andy. I'm about due too. May we both outlive our non stick pans again.

This is the first time a woman told me I had a nice set!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 13,733
Ooo, shiny! And made in USA - bonus! Happy cooking Andy! I wish we lived near a Costco...
__________________
“You shouldn’t wait to be senile before you become eccentric.”— Helene Truter

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
So what was the first thing you cooked in them Andy?
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #10
Senior Cook
 
Macgyver1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 207
Getting new non-stick is so satisfying, everything just glides around...kinda like that feeling you get putting on a brand new pair of cushy socks. :)
Macgyver1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
About a dozen or more years ago, I bought a three skillet set of non-stick cookware - 8", 10" and 12" for $20. at Costco. The smaller ones get used most for egg dishes. The larger one occasionally for other stuff. SO likes them. Good long service for $20.

It was time, however, to let them go the that big kitchen in the sky and replace them. Back to Costco. A three pan Tramontina set, made in the USA for $25. Inflation is a witch. These should last me until I die.

That's still a good price for 3 pans, Andy.
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
So what was the first thing you cooked in them Andy?

Nothing yet, GB. Probably eggs one morning this week.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #13
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This is the first time a woman told me I had a nice set!
You are so lucky you don't work where I do, after that comment, and lucky too that BT isn't around any longer. In either case, you would have been roasted until well done.

Nice pans. I have a new appreciation for non-stick, though I'd given them up so long ago for CI. I just can't get CI in the proper shape. And if there is an out there, it won't be as good as the Griswold that I'm used to. So, non-stick it is, for omelets and sometimes fried eggs. No utensils allowed!

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 23,494
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
You are so lucky you don't work where I do, after that comment, and lucky too that BT isn't around any longer. In either case, you would have been roasted until well done.

Nice pans. I have a new appreciation for non-stick, though I'd given them up so long ago for CI. I just can't get CI in the proper shape. And if there is an out there, it won't be as good as the Griswold that I'm used to. So, non-stick it is, for omelets and sometimes fried eggs. No utensils allowed!

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Not even a silicone spatula?
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,284
The set I bought at Costco a couple months ago was a two pan set. A 9.25" and a 11" for $29.00.
They have metal handles and look like Calphalon.

I guess they stock more than one kind. The ones I bought were Kirkland (Costco) brand. I did not see the three pan set you have.

Sorry about the picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	20795  
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
The set I bought at Costco a couple months ago was a two pan set. A 9.25" and a 11" for $29.00.
They have metal handles and look like Calphalon.

I guess they stock more than one kind. The ones I bought were Kirkland (Costco) brand. I did not see the three pan set you have.

Sorry about the picture quality.

Our Costco had both sets. The one you bought and the one I bought. I chose the Tramintina set because it included an 8" pan.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #17
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
I love to see people getting such nice things which make them very happy. These nice skillets are as fun as watching Beth's house and thinking of our new Catina!

I wish the Gizzi liked the non-stick skillets. But when he retires, I'll change that! Ha!

Oh no, we'll have to find another cook. Uck.

With love,
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Our Costco had both sets. The one you bought and the one I bought. I chose the Tramintina set because it included an 8" pan.
Andy. Yes, I saw your set last time I was in Costco. Seems they have a pretty good cooking utensil section now.
They had a two(2 piece) half sheet set, that was solid aluminum. They still have the sheets, but they look more shiny and not as professional looking as the two I saw before.
The ones that I thought were the best were less shiny and felt so commercial.

I missed out on a sewing machine they had last year. Singer brand for around $100. I wish I had bought it when I first laid eyes on it.
Now, they have zero sewing machines.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #19
Sous Chef
 
mmyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 673
I always go to costco for my pans as well. I've even found a kirkland brand dutch oven like a le creuset for like $40 bucks or so. I did not buy it, I could kick myself now!

I keep ogling their complete pots and pans set but mine, though old and not pretty, is going strong after 20 something years. No matter how hard I try I just can't seem to ruin them. =0)
mmyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 4,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
I always go to costco for my pans as well. I've even found a kirkland brand dutch oven like a le creuset for like $40 bucks or so. I did not buy it, I could kick myself now!

I keep ogling their complete pots and pans set but mine, though old and not pretty, is going strong after 20 something years. No matter how hard I try I just can't seem to ruin them. =0)
My anodized AL Calphalon set was purchased more than 20 years ago and they are as good today as ever. The inside bottoms of the most used are silver now from all the stirring. The coating is gone, but they still cook so good.
Not pretty, but they do a beautiful job.

I only have to replace my non-stick pans every couple three years.
And Costco would be on my short list should I ever need to buy any pans again.
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.