La Cloche Clay Round and Oblong Bakers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
See. La Cloche Clay Baker - Round

and

La Cloche Clay Baker - Round

Toots, I need help, I desire to buy these two baking pans. I am presently trying to talk myself into the round one, first. Winter is the best time for bread baking. I like to be cozy in the kitchen and bake away but I have done well with the stone and steam and I don't really know if this is that necessary and I fear breakage.

If I were to ask JoeV, he would say, "go for it!"

Hmmm, what to do, what to do....maybe I will see if the price comes down some more.

Oh why, oh why did I start looking at bakeware?!!! lol

Susan,

I've been using the oblong La Cloche for a few months now and I find that the performance of a no-knead loaf is really close to when I use either my magnalite or scan pan dutch ovens. When baking a more conventional hand-shapped loaf using quarry tiles and steam I get a deeper brown crust at a lower temp, the La Cloche is lighter in color, more golden. I find using the La Cloche is a bit more convenient especially because of the oblong shape.

Concerning the fragility of the La Cloche, I don't mistreat it, but handle it like any other dish and haven't had any issues at all.

If you are considering both bakers, you may want to get them at the same time and save on shipping. When I got mine, had I been able to figure out where to store two of them, the shipping price was the same for two as one.

Yes, you can make as good a loaf in other baking vessels, but I like clay bakers. I own both the oblong and round La Cloche from Eric at Breadtopia, and could not find it any cheaper anywhere. At $39 plus shipping, you're getting a good value for your buck. Feel free to tell him you heard about him from Joe in Mentor, Ohio. ( BTW, I've never seen a La Cloche in the thrift stores. I have 3 other clay bakers from thrift stores, but no La Cloche.)

I won't tell you how to spend your money, but I will say I really enjoy both of mine. Plus, they will each take a 1.5x recipe with no problem, and because of their size, you can put them both in a 30" oven and bake two loaves at the same time.

Joe

I also have and recommend both those clay bakers and Breadtopia as a site to do business with. I would also add that the prices are the same as when I got mine over a year ago, so they don't seem to be going down (or up).

One nice thing about the clay baker over my dutch oven for bread is that the distance from the lip to the bottom is much smaller, which makes it much easier to place the dough inside the hot vessel.

Well, my round cloche pan, saf yeast and bread bag is finally winging its way to me today. I should get it by Thursday which means hopefully early Monday morning, I will be sending fresh bread to my secret santa (overnight mail). I plan on making a NYT loaf and challah. If I have some extra time, I pay make something else, too.

Well, my round cloche pan, saf yeast and bread bag is finally winging its way to me today. I should get it by Thursday which means hopefully early Monday morning, I will be sending fresh bread to my secret santa (overnight mail). I plan on making a NYT loaf and challah. If I have some extra time, I pay make something else, too.

That's funny, I'm expecting both the round and oblong , yeast and bread bag on Wed.

Yes, you can make as good a loaf in other baking vessels, but I like clay bakers. I own both the oblong and round La Cloche from Eric at Breadtopia, and could not find it any cheaper anywhere. At $39 plus shipping, you're getting a good value for your buck. Feel free to tell him you heard about him from Joe in Mentor, Ohio. ( BTW, I've never seen a La Cloche in the thrift stores. I have 3 other clay bakers from thrift stores, but no La Cloche.)

I won't tell you how to spend your money, but I will say I really enjoy both of mine. Plus, they will each take a 1.5x recipe with no problem, and because of their size, you can put them both in a 30" oven and bake two loaves at the same time.

Joe

Unfortunately , I only have a 24 inch oven . Oh well.

Joe

I don't make bread much, but I did pick up several pieces of clay bakeware at thrift shops over the years [pie pans, loaf pans, and cake pans].

It is good to know when I finally get around to baking more they were a good investment!

My round la cloche arrived and was hard to get out of the box but arrived in good stead. As did the saf yeast and a bread bag. Just one question, can one place a hot loaf in the bread bag or should it first come to room temperature?

Back
Top Bottom