Lafont enameled cast iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robo410

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
New to my area is Lafont, enameled cast iron...colorful, strong, interchangable knobs (wood or cast iron) ... a little cheaper than Le Cruset, Lodge, etc. Seems to be great stuff. Anyone else come across this?? :chef:

I had not heard of it before your post.

I did a quick google and found that Target offers them online. I saw an 8-quart dutch oven for $194.99. That's cheaper than the retail price of the 7.5-quart LeCruest I have. However, I got the LeCrueset (cosmetic blemishes) for $129.00.

If they are as heavy and the quality is the acceptable, they could be a real alternative.

I did the same as Andy and found the same results. Could be a good deal.

I am not sure I am crazy about the interchangeable knob idea though. How often would you want to be changing the knobs? I would probably never use the wood ones (can't go in the oven) and so that is one more thing rattling around in my junk drawer.

GB said:
... I would probably never use the wood ones (can't go in the oven) and so that is one more thing rattling around in my junk drawer.

I have put wood handled cookware into the oven for short periods without incident. Specifically, a non-stick wood handled skillet under the broiler with a fritatta in it.

Based on a quick google search, wood doesn't begin the first stage of the combustion process until 450 F. Putting a dutch oven into the oven for a pot roast or stew at 300 F probably wouldn't be a problem.

the idea is if you intend to use it for stove top mainly, use the wood, if oven mainly, use the iron. At least you have a choice. Most don't give you one.

I would still just rather have the iron. I don't want extra pieces floating around that I will never use.

Back
Top Bottom