Le Creuset Round vs Oval - why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GPOE

Assistant Cook
I am considering a 7.25-9 qt dutch oven made by le creuset. Actually, I have been thinking about one for a while - they are quite expensive so i don't want to make a mistake.

Do you use round or oval? I have an inclination towards round, but am curious as to why people like oval. Also, what size would you get/did you get? I am looking to use this for mussels, chili, stews, etc.

Thanks for the advice,

Geoff

I have a 7.25-quart round oven that I really like. The oval shape more easily accommodates different shaped foods such as whole chickens or longer roasts. Oval vs. round is really a matter of what types of foods you would cook in it.

7.25-quart size vs. 9-quart is a matter of how many people you usually cook for.

I have 3 round ovens.

I prefer round because they work better on the stovetop.

Round accomodates food of pretty much any shape, save long rectangles.

I'd suggest the 7. It holds a lot. Its the size I use most. I have the 9, too, for big crowds.

I was in Target today and saw a 6 quart enameled Lodge DO for $59.99. I ran down the street to look at the Le Creuset model in 7.25 quart. It carries a price tag of $270 (although I've seen them go on ebay for $100-150.

The Lodge has a bit of a rounded bottom whereas the LC is flat. Weight of the CI seemed similar. With such good experience with my double burner grill/griddle and other piecs from Lodge, I took a chance for $60 and bought the DO.

I'll let you know how it works for me.

Hi, Geoff. I may be a little late answering your query, but I prefer the oval. My preference is based on the types of foods I cook. I often cook whole hams, chickens, turkeys. They, by nature, are quite oval rather than round. Therefore, I have oval cookware.

When it comes to soups, chili, stews, etc., they conform to the shape of the vessel in which they are cooked. In that respect, round, square, oval, hexagonal, doesn't really make any difference.

Just my take on your question.:)

I have 10 Le Creuset's and love my newer wide style ones. I have the 5qt oval & 6.75 rissotto round one. Marshalls & Home Goods usually have a good selection. The Le Creuset & Chasseur Dutch ovens are thinner than others and not so heavy but cost more, like anything made in France.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom