Le Creuset - Should I regret it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphellae

Head Chef
I just saw the exact (maybe not exact size but it was fairly large) Le Creuset french oven at Value Village for $69.00. Obviously it was used, but well taken care of. It had minimal chips on the lip where the lid goes, and part of the inside bottom was "puzzled" (a small part of underneath the veneer had the look of a puzzle) but other than that was in good shape... should I regret not buying it? They also had two smaller ones for dips etc for 30.00.
Round French Oven, 5.2L - Le Creuset

I don't think so. That's a lot of money for a chipped one, and one that the inside has been compromised.

IIWY, I would find out EXACTLY what size and color you want, and put it on your "wish list" for all your friends and family to see.

You just might find it under your Christmas Tree!:)

I just got excited - I have never found Le Creuset at that store yet - it was the first time in many visits. I saw the ebay has some good deals too... maybe I will ask for something nice next year :) (I'm getting a stand up freezer this year...)

Thanks for your answer June! :)

do you live near a Marshalls or TJMax. such stores often have le creuset seconds (exterior enameling variations) for half price. I've gotten mine there.

They are stores that carry overstock or last season's stuff, department store. In my experience, they are sometimes "seconds" but are usually just overstock or stuff from other stores that have gone out of business.

I've been watching for a decent 6.5 qt Dutch (it's actually a French) oven for a price that didn't break the bank, or bring my wife's ire down on me. I found it last week at Sam's club. 6.5 qt, enameled cast iron French oven for $39.95. It's a good heavy pot, good braising lid. I've had it for 1 week and used it twice so far with excellent results, once for short ribs and once for country style pork ribs. Day after tomorrow I'll be doing a pot roast in it because I prefer the control and meat texture that I get on the range as opposed to the slow cooker.

Bottom line is that I'm quite happy with my no name braising pot. It looks good, cooks good, cleans up easily, and I have a lot of money left that I wouldn't have with some brand name pots. I just don't think that this is an area where paying Le Creuset prices actually gives you enough value in return to be worth the price. :chef:

I've been watching for a decent 6.5 qt Dutch (it's actually a French) oven for a price that didn't break the bank, or bring my wife's ire down on me. I found it last week at Sam's club. 6.5 qt, enameled cast iron French oven for $39.95. It's a good heavy pot, good braising lid. I've had it for 1 week and used it twice so far with excellent results, once for short ribs and once for country style pork ribs. Day after tomorrow I'll be doing a pot roast in it because I prefer the control and meat texture that I get on the range as opposed to the slow cooker.

Bottom line is that I'm quite happy with my no name braising pot. It looks good, cooks good, cleans up easily, and I have a lot of money left that I wouldn't have with some brand name pots. I just don't think that this is an area where paying Le Creuset prices actually gives you enough value in return to be worth the price. :chef:

Curious what the brand is of the pot you bought.

There's a reason Le Creuset has enjoyed such a great reputation over so many years. Yes, it is expensive to purchase, but once done, you will never need to replace it. and you can hand it down to your grandchildren. Not only that, it will look pretty much as it did the day you unpacked it for your whole life.

Curious what the brand is of the pot you bought.

There's a reason Le Creuset has enjoyed such a great reputation over so many years. Yes, it is expensive to purchase, but once done, you will never need to replace it. and you can hand it down to your grandchildren. Not only that, it will look pretty much as it did the day you unpacked it for your whole life.

Don't remember what the box said. Doesn't have any brand markings on the pot itself. All I know is that if it lasts 10 years it will have cost me $4 a year... and I can't see it not lasting far longer than that. It does exactly what a Dutch oven is supposed to do and that's cook slowly and evenly on either the stovetop or in the oven. I'm happy with it so far, and if anything changes that opinion I'll certainly have something to say about it. :chef:

BTW, I also have a Mario Batali 11 qt Dutch oven and this one appears to be nearly identical except for size. The Batali oven cost more than $120 (it was a gift). I bought the new one because the Batali is too big for just the 2 of us.

I bought one of those pots from Sam's Club and I could be wrong but I believe they're made by Lodge just with the Sam's Club private label. I got mine last year and I think its fantastic. Of course I've never had a le creuset so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. But I refer to it as the magic pot because whatever I put in there, magically comes out perfectly tender and tasting fantastic. I use mine at least once a week and it's held up perfectly. No chips, cracks, or bubbling in the enamel.

Yes, June Sam's club sells that pot. It looks nice, cannot say anything about quality, as cast Iron nowadays is too heavy for me. i have problems with my arms, cannot lift anything heavy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom