Le Creuset stainless? Anyone have/use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiwibird

Assistant Cook
I have been saving quite a while to buy nice cookware, and am definitely set on Le Creuset for a select few cast-iron pieces. However, I also need some "everyday" stainless pieces as well, and see LC has a tri-ply stainless line. Since they are comparable in price to other higher-end stainless brands, I am considering just ordering those from LC too. I am wondering if they are suitable for "heavy" use as everyday cookware? As in- will they hold up to a good deal of use & abuse and last as long as the cast iron? I currently have the most basic, cheap plastic-handled Farberware pots and pans for everyday and after 7 years of hard use, the handles are shot. I need an 8 and 9" frying pan, and a 2qt & 4qt sauce pot in stainless to beat up on a daily basis, so I can baby the cast iron and my much loved vintage enamelware collection :)

Your experiences and opinions are appreciated!

Hi Kiwibird,

I was just wondering if you ever purchased and of the Le Creuset 3-Ply Stainless Steel pans? I'm also looking to purchase some of these pans but reliable reviews are hard to come by.

Look at the prices for All Clad seconds at Cookware and More

If they are cheaper that's what Id go for.

I bought cosmetic seconds 20 years ago and they look and perform like brand new

Welcome to DC! Just to give you a heads up, kiwibird hasn't visited this forum since 2-15-14. We have All Clad pots and skillets.

Last edited:
Oh thanks for the info. I live in the UK so All-Clad isn't really an option as it is more than double the price of any LC.

Are your stainless skillets non-stick or un-coated. The Stainless range includes both non-stick and un-coated skillets here in the UK.

Oh thanks for the info. I live in the UK so All-Clad isn't really an option as it is more than double the price of any LC.

Are your stainless skillets non-stick or un-coated. The Stainless range includes both non-stick and un-coated skillets here in the UK.

My Le Creuset stainless skillets are not non-stick. They look like this:

img75c.jpg

They're similar to the Ines I am looking for. However in the U.K. I think the largest size they do in the SS is 24cm. Any larger, such as the 30cm skillet only comes in non stick.

They're similar to the Ines I am looking for. However in the U.K. I think the largest size they do in the SS is 24cm. Any larger, such as the 30cm skillet only comes in non stick.

That's not a very large skillet. The larger of the two I own is 28cm. I know they also make a 30cm - or at least they did at the time I purchased mine. Perhaps it's been discontinued.

As I said, I like my pans a lot, even though I don't actually use them very often. For day-to-day frying, I've come to prefer my carbon steel skillets. However, if I'm cooking something acidic (wine, tomatoes) the stainless is my "go to" cookware. These Le Creuset tri-ply pans are excellent quality, and, offhand, I can't come up with a single bad thing to say about them.

I tend to cook a lot of acid foods, its pasta and tomato every other day most weeks. Would a skillet like that be ideal for cooking pasta sauces, ragu and resotto in, or should I got for more of a brasier or large saucepan?

I tend to cook a lot of acid foods, its pasta and tomato every other day most weeks. Would a skillet like that be ideal for cooking pasta sauces, ragu and resotto in, or should I got for more of a brasier or large saucepan?
I would use a large sauté or saucepan. The low sloped sides of a skillet don't work well with sauces, imo. I always use my sauté pan for risotto.

Last edited:

For risotto, I would use something like a straight-sided sauté pan (a misnomer of sorts) and, for dishes requiring a long simmer - e.g. pasta sauces - a heavier braiser or cocotte.

Last edited:

I use LeCreuset cast iron, and a couple of stock pots -- I'm fortunate to have a LeCreuset outlet near me. I got my stuff from the "factory seconds" section. About half the price, and I can't find anything wrong with them to make them "seconds."

I've looked at the LeCreuset stainless at the outlet, and didn't see anything special about it. My own stainless is a mix of All Clad and Cuisenart, and they both work just fine.

BTW, LeCreuset cast iron is coated, so it can handle acidic foods. I simmer tomato based sauces in my LeCreuset dutch ovens all the time.

CD

Look at the prices for All Clad seconds at Cookware and More

If they are cheaper that's what Id go for.

I bought cosmetic seconds 20 years ago and they look and perform like brand new
https://homeandcooksales.com/ has an All-Clad "factory seconds" sale every other month or so. Looks like the next one is March 6. I've purchased a few items from them, and they look first quality to me. The last piece came in standard retail packaging and was not marked as a second. You can get on their email list through All-Clad.

https://homeandcooksales.com/ has an All-Clad "factory seconds" sale every other month or so. Looks like the next one is March 6. I've purchased a few items from them, and they look first quality to me. The last piece came in standard retail packaging and was not marked as a second. You can get on their email list through All-Clad.

I live in the U.K, and subsequently All-Clad cookware is extremely rare and extremely expensive. My reasoning for wanting ale Creuset is that it is much more available and is probably the best quality available for this price range.

All clad isn't exactly cheap here, but since it is made here, I'm sure it is cheaper than it is there. But, I personally have not noticed a difference in actual use between my All Clad, and other three-ply stainless I've owned in the past.

Do you have any Le Creuset outlet stores around the London area? The one near me has some great deals on factory seconds, and I can't find anything wrong with them.

CD

All clad isn't exactly cheap here, but since it is made here, I'm sure it is cheaper than it is there. But, I personally have not noticed a difference in actual use between my All Clad, and other three-ply stainless I've owned in the past.

Do you have any Le Creuset outlet stores around the London area? The one near me has some great deals on factory seconds, and I can't find anything wrong with them.

CD

There is one outlet store a couple of hours away. So I might have to spent the day catching the train there in the hope they they have a decent amount for me.

In the mean time I am keeping an eye on all the retails stores that sell them in case an impromptu sale occurs. I've found one website so far that is offering 25% off final price plus a free L.C. 20cm non stick frying pan (worth around £80).

There is one outlet store a couple of hours away. So I might have to spent the day catching the train there in the hope they they have a decent amount for me.

In the mean time I am keeping an eye on all the retails stores that sell them in case an impromptu sale occurs. I've found one website so far that is offering 25% off final price plus a free L.C. 20cm non stick frying pan (worth around £80).
Make sure you try before you buy.

My biggest complaint with All-Clad is the handles (I own 3 of their non-stick skillets and 2 saucepans). They are extremely uncomfortable, especially if you have something heavy in the pan.

That said, they are very good quality pans. All other things being equal, I would still choose the Le Creuset stainless over All-Clad, just for the comfort factor alone.

But to each his own.

I've kind of narrowed it down to which saucepans I am going to get, a set of 3 which comes with a free small non stick frying pan.

From the sounds of it a saute pan would suit my needs for cooking my large saucy meals that I leave to simmer for half hour or so. The annoying thing is that the largest stainless steel saute pan I can find is only 24cm diameter. That wont really be big enough so I am left with a choice between a 30cm non-stick drying pan or a 30cm stainless steel braiser. Both have about the same depth of 7-8cm, are oven safe and have a lid to fit.

I've kind of narrowed it down to which saucepans I am going to get, a set of 3 which comes with a free small non stick frying pan.

From the sounds of it a saute pan would suit my needs for cooking my large saucy meals that I leave to simmer for half hour or so. The annoying thing is that the largest stainless steel saute pan I can find is only 24cm diameter. That wont really be big enough so I am left with a choice between a 30cm non-stick drying pan or a 30cm stainless steel braiser. Both have about the same depth of 7-8cm, are oven safe and have a lid to fit.

That said, I have managed to find a 28cm uncoated frying pan on ebay, quite pricey though and not sure where it comes from as that size definitely isn't sold in the UK retailers or outlets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom