Le Creuset worth the $?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porthand

Cook
I am considering a LeCreuset Dutch Oven are they worth the $ or should I stick to cast iron?
Thanks!

Mike

LC IS cast iron. It just enameled. I absolutely love my LC dutch oven and do not regret spending a small fortune on it. It performs beautifully every time. You can do just about everything you want in a non enameled cast iron dutch oven though so if you want to save some $ then you can. LC is great stuff though.

IMO Le Creuset are fantastic cookware and absolutely worth the $$

However I think they make way too many pieces and many are unnecessary I I dont see much of a need beyond 2 maybe 3 sizes of DO.

There are many less expensive enameled CI pans out there.... I have looked at these often and generally dont like the way they are designed and finished quite as well as LC.... still they will do a fine job and are decent substitutes if budget is a concern (which it is for me)

While some things can be done equally well in an enameled CI and a well seasoned raw CI dutch oven (a chicken or roast for example) they are not really apples to apples. The enameled CI is great for high acidity dishes such as tomato sauce or for things that are very sticky like a fruit compote that may not be appropriate for a raw CI pan.

also if you are looking at raw CI dutch ovens I would absolutley NOT buy new. The new ones are rough and will be difficult to get the smooth non stick finish.... buy vintage on this (it will not be expensive but you may have some elbow grease to get it cleaned and seasoned) and you will be much happier for years to come.

I appreciate the insight to enameled vs raw cast iron. Now I best go after the post on Craig's List to see if that piece is still there.

Love, love, love my LC cookware. Have two oval Dutch ovens. One really large one and a smaller one. Also have a small skillet on got on eBay for 99 cents. Wouldn't trade my LC for anything. I also have plenty of non-enameled cast iron, which I love dearly, too, just for different reasons. Go for it!

Hey porthand... here is a thread I started when I bought my first DO. I about fell off my rocker when I saw how much these things could be. May be some info for you.

With only 2 or 3 exceptions all of my cookware is cast iron - both Lodge and LeCreuset. I love this stuff and LC is definitely worth the price. I have 3 sizes of dutch ovens in LC but I use them for differenct purposes. If I had to have only one it would be the 4 quart because that's the one I use the most. My 7 quart LC DO is used for huge batches of chili or spaghetti sauce. The casserole dishes, skillets, sauce pans are awesome. I even have a set of LC escargot plates that hold 6 snails each. You can put those plates under the broiler and they hold the heat forever.

Go for it, you won't be sorry.

I love my LC dutch oven - I got it brand new on ebay about 2 years ago for $80 (it is a 5 quart, well over $200 in the stores). So don't forget to check out ebay too.

I wanted one for years and I LOVE IT. I use it all the time -

Here is the DC thread about it.

Sorry, don't mean to stomp all over your DO thread with bread recipes!

I love my LC 5.5-quart Dutch oven. I have a raw cast-iron Dutch oven, too, and it works fine, but the extra energy it takes to keep it seasoned got really old ;) I got mine at an outlet shop. If there's one near you, take a look. I can't find any problems with the "seconds" they sell. I've also seen LC at TJ Maxx.

When I got my Dutch oven, I asked the shop manager if they had any specials. Turns out, they had the color and size Dutch oven I wanted in a floor model that was in the back, so I got an additional discount because it was slightly scratched on the bottom :) And now that I'm on their mailing list, I get coupons in the mail.

Look for a LeCrueset outlet store near you. The LeC website has that info.

The outlet stores have discounted prices as well as a clearance section where they have cosmetic seconds. If you don't care which color you get and a minor imperfection, that's a good way to go.

I love ours! If you have a TJ Maxx near you, they often have seconds. That's where mine is from and I have yet to find the flaw.

yes. The product has years of good reputation and satisfied customers. It is cast iron and because of the enameling it is non reactive and a bit more versatile for most recipes. (Campfire cooking is still best in raw seasoned cast iron.) Le Creuset's enameling is its expensive feature. Other companies sell such products but their enameling is poor by comparison...chips easily, unevenly coated, pits etc. (personal experience taught me that) Enameled cast iron is very easy to clean.

Keep in mind that no one pan does everything, no one type of material is best for all applications. A well stocked kitchen has many different trypes of pots and pans, but Le Creuset certainly has its place there.

I bought all 3 of mine from the outlet store. One was new and not a second. It was a discontinued color and was about 60% off. The others were "cosmetic seconds" but you could not tell why.

I aodre them and use them all the time.

My mother still has a LC that she got as a wedding present 50+ years ago.

ALL of my LC are seconds purchased at the outlet in Gilroy, California. With the exception of a tiny paint smear on the underside of the cover of one of the DO, the sales person and I could never find the flaw on any of the other pieces. I purchased mine in 2 trips. There is also a discount for buying quantity, every store is different. I also got an AARP discount. (See? Age has it's benefits :LOL:) If you can find an outlet near you or if you can contact an outlet they will ship. The cost of the shipping is nowhere near as expensive as buying the pieces retail, first quality. I have saved a ton from the outlets.With all of the discounts, my pieces were about half price.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom