Mauviel Frying Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nops

Assistant Cook
I just bought a Mauviel frying pan off eBay, my firs piece of copper cookware. First time I used it the whole underside ( the copper colored part) changed colour. Is this normal?

It's going to change color with heat. You can restore the original color with a copper cleaner, I use Wrights as it is relatively cheap and available.

Is your pan tin lined or steel lined? If it tin you need to use plastic or wood utensils, never metal.

Rocky Mountain Retinning has instructions for care of copper. Just Google them.

It doesn't really change color, it just gets a little oxidization. Mauviel is good cookware, and I think you will enjoy it.

Just a thought. Was this a new piece? The new ones have a protective coating which should be removed. If you can link the ebay site, or post a photo of the inside and outside, I may be able to tell you more.

Here are a few images. Is it normal for Mauviel Cuprinox cookware to not be stamped? Only stamp says "made in France".

Attachments

• image-1211341513.jpg
    image-1211341513.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 256
  • image-2756397995.jpg
    image-2756397995.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 257
Not really enough in the photo to tell, but it looks like a stainless steel lined pan with fairly heavy copper. The exterior looks good. The pot looks new or near new.

Do you have the ebay ad?

IMO the skillet appears to be a pour le table pan by Mauviel, although a lot of Villedieu tinkers used "made in france" as a mark, and Mauviel made pots with many logos. Back to the original thread subject. Heat will change the color of copper, but copper cleaners, or even lemon juice and salt will restore the original color.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom