Mauviel M'cook 5 ply Stainless Steel Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
Since we installed the induction range January 2012, I've not been satisfied with the performance of our old stainless steel cookware. After 8 years of constant use it was pretty tired. The saucepans are so out of round that the lids no longer fit properly.

On the induction front, it was technically working but not very well. The pan would "sync" with the magnet but often "buzzed" and would not always "re-sync" when lifted.

I looked long and hard at investing in a QUALITY set. I bought some sample pieces from Al-Clad to test but wasn't overly impressed with them. It just didn't seem like the price matched the quality.

I also shopped offerings from De Buyer, Demeyere, and Matfer Bourgeat but ultimately decided on Mauviel M'Cook based on price/value.

More to follow...

Last edited:
Careful analysis of the Mauviel offerings showed that not only the number of pieces change between offerings but more importantly the sizes (capacity) of the items vary as well.

Mauviel Set Comparison

Based on my families needs the 10 piece set had the right combination of items.

Pricing for this line of cookware makes it is less expensive to purchase a set rather than individual open stock items. Compared to open stock purchases of just the stock/saucepans the frying pans are free in the sets.

Prices vary with the average for the 10 piece set at $799. The Mauviel site does not list the 10 piece set as an option. Williams-Sonoma is the highest retailer at $899 plus tax and shipping. Bed Bath and Beyond is the lowest at $639 when using the 20% off coupon with shipping fees waived by ordering in the store for store pickup.

More to follow...

The set arrived in a plain unmarked cardboard box. Each item in the set is wrapped in a heavy paper sack. Inside, along with each item is a small piece of paper showing proof of hand inspection, the lot number and the name of the inspector.

Attachments

• Open_Box.jpg
    Open_Box.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 435
  • Skillet_in_wrapper.jpg
    Skillet_in_wrapper.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 363
  • 9.5Skillet.jpg
    9.5Skillet.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 454
Gallery of detail shots and comparison to Al-Clad sample. Notice the difference in pan wall thickness. Mauviel 2.6mm thick in all sizes.

Attachments

• Saute_Normandy.jpg
    Saute_Normandy.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 371
  • saucepan_bottom.jpg
    saucepan_bottom.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 363
  • rivetedhandle.jpg
    rivetedhandle.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 587
  • Side_detail.jpg
    Side_detail.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 378
  • Handle_comparison_ACvsMauviel_top.jpg
    Handle_comparison_ACvsMauviel_top.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Handle_comparison_ACvsMauviel.jpg
    Handle_comparison_ACvsMauviel.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 360
Shot of full set. Standard 30"inch range and quarter in center of shot for reference.

Attachments

• FullSet.jpg
    FullSet.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,324
  • UseAndCare.jpg
    UseAndCare.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 374
Used the small sauce to start some rice for supper. There was a very notable increase in the performance of this cookware vs the old on the induction stove.

Much more efficient, was able to use a lower energy setting to accomplish the same task. Instant "sync" with magnet. No buzzing. Instant "re-sync" with magnet after lifting pan.

Attachments

• Starting_Rice.jpg
    Starting_Rice.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 367
  • Rice2.jpg
    Rice2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 350
  • Rice3.jpg
    Rice3.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 328
That is a very nice set...so, when are we going to tell everyone you are my Uncle so you can get me that for Christmas?

So nice to have new nieces! Can't make big promises about Santa but you can both have a cookie or a lolly.

I gave the "Country Skillet" to DD. I'm keeping the Lyonnaise. I thought you bought some of the De Buyers.

I gave the "Country Skillet" to DD. I'm keeping the Lyonnaise. I thought you bought some of the De Buyers.

I did, love them and they are seasoned just right for anything I can throw into them. I had to make Shrek promise to never touch them again, though. He kept soaking them in dishwater...and scrubbing them clean.

Since we installed the induction range January 2012, I've not been satisfied with the performance of our old stainless steel cookware. After 8 years of constant use it was pretty tired. The saucepans are so out of round that the lids no longer fit properly.

On the induction front, it was technically working but not very well. The pan would "sync" with the magnet but often "buzzed" and would not always "re-sync" when lifted.

I looked long and hard at investing in a QUALITY set. I bought some sample pieces from Al-Clad to test but wasn't overly impressed with them. It just didn't seem like the price matched the quality.

I also shopped offerings from De Buyer, Demeyere, and Matfer Bourgeat but ultimately decided on Mauviel M'Cook based on price/value.

More to follow...

The few pieces of Demeyere (Atlantis & Bistro) I have are my most favorite cookware. Wish I could rationailze the purchase of more Demeyere but do not have enough storage space and have sentimental attachment to many of my hand-me-downs.

The few pieces of Demeyere (Atlantis & Bistro) I have are my most favorite cookware. Wish I could rationailze the purchase of more Demeyere but do not have enough storage space and have sentimental attachment to many of my hand-me-downs.

I have to say I'm really impressed with the new pans. Even heating, easy to clean up. Nothing sticks as long as you get the pans leidenfrost effect hot before adding oil. Meats sear very well too. Performance with induction stove exceeds expectations.

Back
Top Bottom