Members Mark Tri Ply Cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldhat

Assistant Cook
I am considering getting a set of Sam's Club Members Mark Tri Ply Stainless Cookware. I want to move up to clad cookware, but don't want to shell out $$$ for All Clad. I've looked at the Calphalon Tri Ply set, and like it, but the Sam's Club set SEEMS to have all of the same features as both the All-Clad and the Calphalon, at a fraction of the price. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the glass lids on the Calphalon set, but maybe that's a silly concern.

SO, does anyone have an opinion as to the Member Mark cookware? It is stainless, and has an aluminum core throughout, like the All Clad and Calphalon. Please give me your input on things such as their performance, heft (I don't want light cookware), and general quality, especially compared to the Calphalon Tri Ply, which seems to be my second option.

Thanks!

I'm afraid I'm clueless, too - can't even find out who makes the cookware for Sam's Club. But, it does look a lot like All-Clad with Calphalon handles, except the handles are a little thicker - which I would prefer.

Your best guide would be to actually look at them (all three brands) and check out the heft for yourself. A 12" All-Clad skillet weighs 2-lbs 14-oz, Calphalon is 3-lbs 2-oz. If the thinknesses all look about the same and if the Members Mark cookware weighs about the same, it should cook about the same as either one.

If the thickness and weight are comperable - you sure can't beat the price!

Sorry I can't be of much help either, but if it helps, you are asking all the right questions. Sound like you know what to look for. Michaels advice is right on (as usual). If you go and check all the brands out I bet you will be able to figure which will work best for you. Let us know what you decide on.

Thanks for your insights.

I'd still really like a review of this cookware before I get it. My main concern is really just in the quality, because I'm not sure who makes it, and while I know what it's made of, I do not know how well it is put together. I am a big believer in the motto "you get what you pay for," and in this case I don't want to make a mistake in buying poor quality. I've seen other reviews on here re: Sam's Club's gas grills, and they weren't good...something about parts falling off, etc.

Well, oldhat, we're not talking gas grills with a lot of parts here ... were talking pots-n-pans that only have three parts ... the "pot/pan", the rivits that attach the handles, and the handles. ;)

The rivits are going to be aluminum with SS caps ... just like All-Clad or Calphalon .... and a dozen or more other brands.

Sure a handle could break - or a rivit ... but that's going to be a rare occurance. But, it's got a Lifetime warranty - so you get a new one if it does. Same risk you take if you buy All-Clad!

The important thing is the thickness and weight of the cookware.

I checked and even Consumer Reports doesn't have a review of this cookware.

Hi guys.

Jennyema you have a good memory!

However, I'm not familiar with Members Mark.

I have Kirkland Signature, which is Costco's brand, some All-Clad and some Le Gourmet Chef. I think all three are good but the Le Gourmet Chef is a little thinner walled than the other two. That said, the sauce pans I have work fine.

Maybe you can find a manufacturer's name on the box to give you a starting point for your search.

G'luck!

;)
Z

Thanks for the info Giggles ... I went out to that website and finally found a reference to the Member's Mark cookware - a review from the Dec. 2005 issue of Consumer Reports. While I wish that post had included a little more info on the testing and results that resulted in their rankings (and a complete list of the cookware tested) I do have to agree with the conclusion that you don't have to mortgage the farm to buy good quality cookware.

I'm looking at the Dec 2005 CR.

Among the sets tested, the Members Mark rated 5th after:

1. KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials Brushed Stainless
  2. Calphalon Contemporary
  3. Emerilware Stainless
  4. Magnalite Classic
The set were rated on:

1. Cooking Evenness
  2. Nonstick durability
  3. Safety
  4. Comfort
  5. Sturdiness
  6. Ease of Cleaning
These 5 all fell into the VG category, as did the next 5 sets.

The MM set received a negative rating for Sturdiness.

How is it that All-Clad nonstick was not even mentioned and the uncoated was ranked low? Cook's Illustrated test's ranked both they're favorite pans.

Stevie said:
How is it that All-Clad nonstick was not even mentioned and the uncoated was ranked low? Cook's Illustrated test's ranked both they're favorite pans.

All-Clad non-stick was not included in the test.

All-clad Master Chef ranked 8th and their Copper Core ranked 10th.

Would the All-Clad non-stick perform better than the Copper Core though???

The cooper core set is like 700 bucks and lost to a 150 buck set of cookware.

Andy M. said:
All-Clad non-stick was not included in the test.

All-clad Master Chef ranked 8th and their Copper Core ranked 10th.

thanks for that great response. Tells me zero.

Stevie said:
thanks for that great response. Tells me zero.

It tells you that All-Clad non-stick was not mentioned in the test because it wasn't tested. They don't claim to test every product on the market.

Perhaps if you want more complete information on the subject, you should buy the magazine.

kleenex said:
Would the All-Clad non-stick perform better than the Copper Core though???

The cooper core set is like 700 bucks and lost to a 150 buck set of cookware.

They are very different. The non-stick won't do things like browning meats or being oven safe at high temperatures as well as the copper core while the copper core will be harder to clean.

Some of the factors Consumer Union tests for are things that will differ in importance to different people. In the tests we have been discussing, comfort is one of the factors that can be different for each user. Ease of cleaning is also a factor that can be of varying importance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom