Metal utensils in SS cookware??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver

Senior Cook
Hello, another silly question from a newbie.

I've been watching a LOT of Food Network Canada and I notice that on many shows, the hosts will use metal utensils in S/S cookware. Now, I've always learned not to do that to avoid scratching and damaging everything...or does that only apply to teflon items?

I got a real nice Lagostina set of pots for Christmas and would had to damage them by following along with what I see on TV...

Thanks!

Yes, that's the beauty of the SS cookware... I bet the more you use it the more you will come to love this type of cookware!! I moved the thread to the cookware section, check out this section, if you are new to the SS you will find oodles of tips for them!! Good luck and have fun!!

I think it does depend on the type of stainless steel cookware you have.

I have a stainless steel saucepan thats interior has a shiny mirror finish & was advertised as "non-stick stainless steel". The info card that came with it specifically said not to use metal utensils.

BreezyCooking said:
I think it does depend on the type of stainless steel cookware you have.

I have a stainless steel saucepan thats interior has a shiny mirror finish & was advertised as "non-stick stainless steel". The info card that came with it specifically said not to use metal utensils.

Breezy, I find that interesting! They actually offered it as non-stick! What brand of cookware is it?

I usually use either wood or plastic when I cook. But I never hesitate to use metal on my SS.

I just took a look at it & it's called Copperlux Non-Stick 18/10 Stainless Steel. Has a copper bottom & like I mentioned before, a nearly mirror stainless finish on the inside. I say "nearly" mirror finish because I admit I haven't always been as diligent as I should have about the utensils. I have to admit, though, that no matter how thick the sauce or whatever I cook in it, it does clean out like a breeze with just a plastic scouring pad (something else they indicate you need to use). Came with a glass lid.

It wasn't an expensive pan - something I picked up during a supermarket sale after having - ahem - melted one of my older saucepans. . . .

That's the reason why nearly every appartment full of college students has pans with scrapes. I don't think i've ever seen a nice frying pan in any house, i've ever lived in during my college career.

SS is a very hard metal - so generally using metal utensils will not be a problem. But - the more scratches it picks up the more food will stick to it (actually it sticks in the scratches) ... but again, SS is hard and you may have to really abuse it for that to happen.

Me? I generally use wood cooking spoons, spatulas and turners - but I do use wire whisks (no problems) and metal (SS) spoons and ladels and turners where needed/appropriate in my SS cookware.

Back
Top Bottom