Metallic taste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
We have two calphalon teflon pans, one we use for everything and one we seldom use for anything. The one we use a lot has a couple scratches but the other one looks brand new. A couple weeks ago, I got this really strong metallic taste in my pancakes and this was using the scratched pan but this morning I got the same metallic taste from the unscratched pan. I am very confused about this.:wacko: It only seems to happen with pancakes. Wanted to know what you guys think before I go off and buy new pans. Thanks all!

A related question...I was told that using a teflon pan that's scratched can be bad for your health. Any truth to that?

I believe there is no issue with scratched teflon.

There is some controversy over the fact that a certain chemical used in the manufacture of teflon is considered by the FDA to be a suspected cancer causing agent. According to some scientific sources, this chemical is not present in the finished teflon product.

However, it is found in the environment. FYI, it is also used in the manufacture of pizza boxes and stain resistant clothing.

Thanks. My girlfriend wanted to me throw away 8 pans becuase of the scratches...some very, very minor.

Without anything to back me up I told her she was insane! I scratched half of them 10 years ago so the theoretical damage is already done:mrgreen:

corazon90 - I don't think the metallic taste has anything to do with your cookware. But, I do believe it has something to do with something that is totally unique to your pancakes. As Andy said - check your ingredients to make sure they are all fresh. What do you use in your pancakes that you haven't used for anything else in the past two weeks?

My first thought is you're actually tasting "randic fat". Even with nonstick you need to grease the pan - and whatever you use to grease the pan for pancakes you haven't used in the past 2-weeks for anything else. You can usually smell when Crisco has gone bad, you can usually do the same with unsalted butter - salted butter, margarine, and oils you may need to taste. But, if you're like my step-mom .... it's going to be that can of non-stick cooking spray that you keep in the cabinet over the stove, or right beside it, that you've had for so long you don't remember when you bought it, and only use on occasions for certain things - like making pancakes.

gettingbetter - scratches will not hurt you. What you want to watch out for is the teflon coating flaking off in your food.

gettingbetter said:
Thanks. My girlfriend wanted to me throw away 8 pans becuase of the scratches...some very, very minor.

Without anything to back me up I told her she was insane! I scratched half of them 10 years ago so the theoretical damage is already done:mrgreen:

My mom made me do the same thing!! some of my pans didn't even have scratches and she said if I'd had them for more then 2 or so years to toss them. I told this to my boyfriend who also thought i was crazy!

Yestarday I was getting ready to saute some onions on one of my non stick pans that are left, and there was a strong odor. I tried another burner to see if maybe it was just the burner and if something had gone down into the range or something, but after heating it up on another burner the odor was still apperant. Anyone have any idea what that mightbe?

Tonight i made a sandwhich becuse im too scared to use the pans...

now i've gotta go buy some new ones...any suggestions on what to get that's still relitively inexpensive? I need to go search for some old threads i saw on pots and pans....

thanks.

Michael in FtW said:
As Andy said - check your ingredients to make sure they are all fresh. What do you use in your pancakes that you haven't used for anything else in the past two weeks?

My first thought is you're actually tasting "randic fat". Even with nonstick you need to grease the pan - and whatever you use to grease the pan for pancakes you haven't used in the past 2-weeks for anything else.

I thought it could be ingredients but still wanted to see what you all thought. Maybe the baking soda or powder? Those aren't things I buy too often. Probably time to replace them anyway. I use butter to grease the pan and we go through that too fast for it to go bad.:pig: Thanks for everyones feed back.

The metalic taste you tasted was probably brought out by the Baking soda! There is a test they used to do, to test aluminum cookware to see if it was interacting with the food. take a tablespoon of baking soda (which is Sodium Bicarbonate basically salt) and a cup of water and boil it for 3 minutes let cool then taste! What has happened is since the telfon has scratched off it is exposing the aluminum which is a very soft metal that does interact with foods! Usually you can not taste it due to the fact the flavor of the food will usually mask it! If you dont believe this do the baking soda test in a Glass pot or bowl and a aluminum pot and taste the differance! You can actually taste the aluminum it is awful! You can really do it with any type pan and you can taste the differant pots! The reason to use glass is because it is non porous and it does not interact with the baking soda! A good example is: Beer out of a bottle and beer out of a can! Which taste better!! By the way if you try this test in any kind of teflon or Tfal pot you will notice a gross chemically taste it will leave a film like taste on your tongue!!

According to the label of any Teflon or Tfal pot if you scratch it discard it! Although it does say on the label if it pieces of teflon gets in your food it will pass right thru you if you eat!! Good to know info!!!!

HeyRobi

Last edited:
Technically you are to throw your pan of away if the teflon starts peeling. Even though it passes through the body with being absorbed we recommend to throw it away and purchase a new one. Also keep in mind when using non-stick pans you are not to use metal utensils on them because that is what makes the teflon scratch and peel.

[
Yestarday I was getting ready to saute some onions on one of my non stick pans that are left, and there was a strong odor. I tried another burner to see if maybe it was just the burner and if something had gone down into the range or something, but after heating it up on another burner the odor was still apperant. Anyone have any idea what that mightbe?

Do you cook with bottled LP gas? If you do, in the bottom of the tank is a gas that you can smell, to alert you that you are about to run out of gas.

CHeck lots of places for metalic taste: mixer or beaters, whisk, water etc.

It is possible for the pancake ingredients to react with raw aluminum but that would have to be a pretty big scratch. Make the pancakes simultaneously in two pans one scratched teflon, one not. Both taste metalic? not the pan.

FUmes? dirty pan bottom, soap residue, lp gas odor (as stated above)

What brand of pans? Quality pans last generations. (but all my relatives died..maybe it was the pans??)

Back
Top Bottom