More cast iron questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Griswold and Favorite and some Wagner are very collectible which is why they may be pricey in an antique store or flea market. They cook just fine also, but usually people are trying to make complete sets of them. And much older than 50 years in most cases.
There are lots of no-name cast iron frying pans available at flea markets that have the beginnings of the curing that it takes to make a good cast iron frying pan.

I saw one at a $1 store for about $10 (oxymoron) but it was way too thin, imho.

I just haven't gotten out for a shopping look-see yet.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As to size:
My cast iron skillets are 6, 8, 10 and 12". The 8 gets the most use, followed by the the 10. I'm cooking for one more often than not. The 6 gets used mostly to toast a few spices or one or two chiles.

bullseye on 10-04-2006 said:
As far as brand is concerned, I am most fond of the Wagner that is really from Australia. For some reason, the seasoning takes better and stays better...
To my knowledge, Wagner Ware cast iron, marked "Wagner Ware Sidney" was made in in the Wagner foundry in Sidney, Ohio (not Sydney Australia). I have several Wagner Ware cast iron skillets, and the one with the clearest marking says "Wagner Ware Sidney)

Two years ago I posted a question to DC re this (see http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f89/2-cast-iron-cookware-questions-2393.html

The helpful answer came from Michael in FtW and here's the link he gave at that time http://www.griswoldandwagner.com/faq.html

BTW, I especially like the Wagner's design for the 8" skillet - while most handles on cast iron skillets are a simple flat loop, the Wagner 8" skillets marked "Wagners 1891 Original" have slightly longer handles - these handles have a slight curve with an indentation on top for your thumb. Given the weight of cast iron, this ergonomic design makes it it much easier to grasp and lift the skillet. I find it makes a real difference. If you want an 8" cast iron skillet, I would recommend this design from the Wagner line. They do appear at times on eBay and are inexpensive (but check shipping costs).

Hope the following pix will help illustrate what I mean.

This is an 8" 'Wagners 1891 Original' skillet...
castironSkilletWithThumbIndent-Wagners1891.jpg
castironMarkWagners1891Original.jpg

This pix shows two skillets - the one on the left is a (new) Lodge 10" skillet with the usual open loop handle which is flat and short (this skillet also has an "assist" handle on the opposite side, which is nice but uncommon in older skillets) and the one on the right is a 'Wagners 1891' 8" skillet. Despite the size difference, you can see the difference in the skillet handles.
castironSikilletHandleComparison.jpg

Last edited:
subfuscpersona said:
To my knowledge, Wagner Ware castiron, marked "Wagner Ware Sidney" was made in in the Wagner foundry in Sidney, Ohio (not Sydney Australia). I have several Wagner Ware castiron skillets, and the one with the clearest marking says "Wagner Ware Sidney)
I stand corrected, subfusc--thanks for the info. I guess that will teach me to take the word of a guy at a flea market! I checked the underside, and it is definitely Sidney with an "I." (I need a smiley for smacking the forehead. <g>) It's still a fantastic skillet and the one I reach for most often. The bottom is a little ugly, but the cooking surface is like a mirror.

BTW, I also have the identical 8" skillet in your picture. It is a recent find that I rescued from rust and neglect; I see what you mean about the handle.

Last edited:
What does it mean when the cast iron is advertised as 'pre-seasoned'? Do you have to 're-season' these or are they good to cook in as-is?

Back
Top Bottom