Need help converting pan size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I'm calling on you math experts here.

I have a recipe that calls for a 9X13 pan, and I don't have one on hand. I do have lots of baking dishes though. How would I convert that to a round or square pan?

A 13x9 holds 14 cups. You could use:

2 ea 9x2 round cake pans, a 10" springform pan (holds 12 cups), a 10x4 tube pan, 2 ea 9" loaf pans, 2 ea 8" square pans.

Hi Constance,
A lot depends upon what you intend to cook.
Simple maths > 9x 13 = 117 sq. ins. so the nearest equivalent would be a 12 x 10 = 120 sq. ins. if it is for a tray bake. However, it might cook a very slight tad quicker as the mixture will be erver so slightly thinner.
You could go for an 11 x 11inch = 120 or 11 x 10inch = 110. In the case of an 11 x 10 inch pan the mixture will be ever so slightly thicker and take a minute or two more to cook.

It is much easier if trying to convert cooking a mixture for a round pan to a square pan. A recipe that says it should be cooked in an 8 inch round pan should be cooked in a 7 inch square pan for the same depth, so 9 inch round = 8 inch square, 10 inch round = 9 inch square and so on.

Unfortunately, you`ve got a recipe for a pan that when you work out the square inches, i.e., 9 x 13 = 117 does not convert easily to another pan size, although the closest size, if it is for a shallow pan is 12 x 10.

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Constance,
The recommended pan is 9x13, the surface of the base is 117 sq. in.
An 11x11 square pan has a base surface of 121 sq. in. which is very close as archiduc stated. A 12 in. round pan has a base surface of 113 sq. in. which is close to the 117.
In the event you don't have a 12 in. round pan, then substitute by two 9 in. each of these pans have 63 sq. in. (times two is 124, in excess of the 117)
I hope this helped you.

lyndalou,
It is only geometry LOL.
Rectangular pan surface is: Height x Length, same with a square pan (both sides are equal)
For the Round pan, the surface formula is: Phi (3.1416) x Diameter square / 4

Thank you very much! I was in a bit of a hurry last night, so I went ahead and made the trek down to the basement and got the 9X13. DH had already made one trip downstairs, and he told me not to go calling him when I couldn't get back up the stairs, but I made it by myself, stubborn old lady that I am. :LOL:

I have saved that chart, Andy. It will be very helpful in the future.

Back
Top Bottom