Need help with baking sheet problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I'm having trouble finding the right baking sheet for cookies. I have been using a Chicago Metallic 12 x 18 nonstick sheet pan, and I am finding that it drastically raises the oven temp (seen in the hanging thermometer) to an unpredictable level in my very small oven.

I tried a new recipe for peanut butter cookies last night, and I preheated the oven to 325, which was 25 degrees lower than what the recipe called for. About 5 minutes later I checked the hanging thermometer in the oven, and the temperature had shot up to 400, burning the bottom of the cookies before they were fully baked.

I'm not able to buy a new oven as of yet, so I'd like to see if I can find an inexpensive solution to this problem. It seems impossible to figure out what temperatures to preheat the oven to. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Is the pan a tight fit in the oven? There should be at least an inch or two between the sides of the pan and the walls of the oven so the heat can circulate freely in the oven. If there isn't enough space for the heated air to circulate freely, it will build up under the pan and burn your cookies.

Buy a smaller cookie sheet.

Yes, the pan is a tight fit. Do you you think it would work to try a pan about half the size?

Would that circulate air better than a flat baking sheet? I'd like to understand why you're recommending that particular pan.

A smaller pan will allow more air circulation. That's really all there is too it.

"Air" Pans also help if you are having issues with the bottoms burning too. The little layer of air provides a nice buffer.

Just because of the size. 10x15 is a little smaller than your 12x18 half sheet pan. If you can find the smaller size you need in a flat sheet, that should work as well.

I buy the heavy duty aluminum baking sheets from the Costco business center in Fife Washington. The 1/4 sheet is 9x13 and I paid a whopping $3.50 for mine. Heck, the 1/2 sheet was only $3.99! Once you've used one of these you'll never look back. Brown's cookie bottoms perfectly without burning and will never warp.

Are there any health risks to cooking with aluminum? I've heard about a connection to Alzheimers.

Are there any health risks to cooking with aluminum? I've heard about a connection to Alzheimers.

There is absolutely no health risk of any kind with aluminum. The Alzheimer's scare of years ago was quickly found to be false but that never got the publicity of the original scarey report.

That's good to hear. I wish there was a Costco near me. I just bought a stainless steel jelly roll pan at Bed Bath and spent $9.95!

I'll try the pan I bought and post the results. I hope it's not a hopeless situation, as I have a very old oven that seems very unpredictable in terms of temperature.

Is it costly to fix an oven's thermostat? I'm a bit conflicted because I'm planning to move and not sure if I want to invest any money in this oven.

Is it costly to fix an oven's thermostat? I'm a bit conflicted because I'm planning to move and not sure if I want to invest any money in this oven.

If you are renting, then it is the landlords responsibility.

If it is yours, it is basically a service call and whatever labor they charge. . .and potentially a new thermostat.

Depending on gas, or electric depends on the cost of the fix.

Of course, you could get an oven thermometer for like $10 at a hardware store, put it in the oven, set to 350 and see if the actual thermometer reads 350. If it is off, you then know how much to adjust your temp by the dial for future oven use.

Last edited:
I own the place so I'd have to look into the cost of replacing the thermostat. When I move, I'm going to look for a place whose appliances are in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom