Need help with cutting boards!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had thin plastic ones melt, but that was only when my wife accidentally left it on a burned and turned it on.

Yes we were very lucky. It was just the edge and we were right there and noticed it right away so we averted a disaster.

I like having a bunch of plastic ones. We have one wooden one that we use for bread. We also use it to bring a roast to the table that needs to be sliced, or is only partially sliced and we might want more than is already sliced. On one side it has those nice grooves that let the meat juices run into a little "well".

This thread reminds me that I should probably replace the plastic ones that I have, that are rather cut up. Thaks !

I sounds like she wants a basic, plastic one. I have had a couple that get worn, and absorb some food bits after a while. They actually recommend having two separate ones if you are going to be using one for raw meat. If I were you I would convince her to get a hard wood one. They can be sanded down and coated in mineral oil to create a fresh board. They also wash easily, by hand.

I have two glass boards, one for meat while the other for fruits, vegetables and bread. The boards made of glass do not absorb any food and they can be cleaned easily. They could be slightly heavy but I think they are more hygenic.

Almost every kitchen has a pull out cutting board in the cabinet that is icky.
It's the perfect place to slide in my multi colored plastic cutting board sheets.
I cut one in half for cutting smaller quantities.

Epicurean boards are great, although a bit dear. Have you heard of Joseph Joseph products? they do a really good range of non wood boards.

I have two cutting boards I keep under the sink--one is 1/2 inch thick plastic--rubbery the other is 3/4 inch wood, both are about 30 years old, they last forever. I also have an under the cabinet sliding wood one, which helps with fiber in my diet.;)

A show (that I detest) was on yesterday. In storm ravaged areas, cut a 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch slab of wood from the top of the stump (a round) of a toppled tree, just ask someone with a chain saw. Leave the bark on it. Let it dry/cure for at least a month. Sand the top and bottom with 100 grit sandpaper and an orbital sander, then with finer grit sandpaper until smooth. Coat with butcher's block oil (found in hardware and big box stores), letting it soak in, reapplying 5 times or so. Very nice to look at and very useable. (Dishwasher safe, probably not.)

I would say wood is the best, otherwise plastic is good but the small knife marks in plastic will just hold bacteria in it even through washing it. and never buy glass! a glass board will dull your knife so fast its just terrible and i hate the sound

I would say wood is the best, otherwise plastic is good but the small knife marks in plastic will just hold bacteria in it even through washing it. and never buy glass! a glass board will dull your knife so fast its just terrible and i hate the sound

Standard practice for plastic boards is to bleach them. This is very effective.

I also go for the plastic. Once a month or so I stick them in a bleach solution (I don't have a dishwasher, but they are dishwasher safe). l don't like the sensation of knives on glass or marble, sort of like fingernails on a chalk board, to me. I do usually have a more attractive one for serving cheese and fruit on (it is bamboo, which also is dishwasher safe).

I have two. One is plastic I use for raw meat. The other is wood I use for everything else. Both get regular bleach treatment.

Back
Top Bottom