New Enamel Dutch Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChrisW4357

Assistant Cook
I just got a new 7qt Enamel Cast Iron Oval Dutch Oven. This is the first one I have ever bought and the first thing I did was cook a Brisket in it with some garlic, onion, red wine and beef stock. After 2 1/2 hours at 300 degrees I added some potatoes and carrots and let it go for another 45 minutes until they were tender. When it was done I took some of the liquid and made a gravy in a saucepan and added some fresh mushrooms.

This had to be one of the best tasting meals I have ever made! My wife and I could not believe how good it all was. This is also the first time I ever cooked with Red wine as well.

Chris

Congratulations. We really enjoy ours too. It's great for chili, soups, pot roasts, stews, fricassees, and a ton of other stuff.

I love the way it cooks myself. If you start from when it is new, the best way I have found to keep it clean is a Magic Eraser. It gets everything out, without scratching the surface. My mom gave me one last year for Christmas, and it still looks brand new.

I had a similar one for years and loved it. Unfortunately, when I moved to Costa Rica I couldn't bring all of my CI cookware due to the weight. The only piece I brought was my regular Lodge 12" skillet which is indispensable for frying chicken.

The enamel CI oven is one of the most useful pieces of equipment you can have... makes it so easy to make slow cooked/simmered dishes. You will find endless uses for it.

Griswold Cast Iron

I had a similar one for years and loved it. Unfortunately, when I moved to Costa Rica I couldn't bring all of my CI cookware due to the weight. The only piece I brought was my regular Lodge 12" skillet which is indispensable for frying chicken.

While Lodge is sturdy cookware, it is really heavy. Over the years I have
collected the American product known as Griswold and have found it
to be far superior to ANY cast iron cookware on the planet. People
collect Griswold because the company went out of business in the
1930's, but that is not the reason to collect it. Griswold is a thinner and
finer grained cast iron cookware. Their products weigh far less than any
of their competitors and have a finer, easier to season, grain.

They are well worth the extra money, but their age is not a reflection upon their quality.

Lodge is decent cast iron, but if you can find Griswold at a reasonable price, I would recommend getting the Griswold. Not for the age, but for the quality of workmanship.

Pierre

Weight is something you want in cast iron cookware though MasterChefPierre. This is the reason cast iron can suck up and hold onto that heat which gives you even cooking. Griswold had a better casting process which left the pan smoother than Lodge. This is the reason it is so prized. Its lower weight is not a benefit in my book though. It is a drawback.

I'm not debating, but Giswold is cast iron still and is a lot heavier than a like product that isn't CI. It might not hold the temp as long when taken off the heat (which could be a good thing), but all the other properties of CI are still there. In my humble opinion.

Actually, I've found that my Griswold skillet heats more evenly than my Lodge, despite the lighter weight. Not sure why, my theory has always been that they used a better alloy than Lodge does.

I am new to this board and the first think I noticed was the discussion of a Dutch/French oven. I purchased one as a gift from my DH for Christmas and so far had only made chili and soup in it. I always heard how nice they are for roast, etc. However, I have no clue how to cook in one. Are there any simple cookbooks out there? I did buy a Brisket of beef to try, buy again I am lost what to do. Any help would be great.

Weight is something you want in cast iron cookware though MasterChefPierre. This is the reason cast iron can suck up and hold onto that heat which gives you even cooking. Griswold had a better casting process which left the pan smoother than Lodge. This is the reason it is so prized. Its lower weight is not a benefit in my book though. It is a drawback.

ITA.

The heavier the cast iron, the better the pot.

I bought a knock off because I didn't want to spring for the Le Crueset $$$$ but I've used it so much I'm wondering if I should have. It's become my favorite pot and gets used at minimum 2 times a week! Welcome to the club - you'll fall in love!

I use my LC for so many things - stews, soups, roasts, braising. I like to do a quick pork tenderloin in it - I like to brown the pork stove top in some olive oil and then stick it in a 425 oven for about 20 minutes or so.
So easy and I throw asparagus and some cherry tomatoes into the pot for a quick one pot meal.

I am loving this thread. I got 2, yes 2 for Christmas. One was a early gift from my DH, so I have used it a couple of times, making only soup and chili in it. Can't wait to learn how to do other things with it.

Back
Top Bottom