New toy!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
My trusty Visions DO met with a terrible fate yesterday, so today I went out shopping to find a replacement. Did you know its pretty tough to find a DO here in a department store? At least one that isn't a part of a full set of cookware.

Well after much searching (Ken was a trooper, there was no whining at ALL) we were on our way home and I'd resigned myself to not getting a new DO. We noticed a little kitchen store and stopped in. Glory be! There she was, just as pretty as can be! My new dutch oven. Cast iron and a thing of beauty! I can't wait to get seasoning and try it out!

What to cook first???? So many options! Anyone have a good suggestion? Roast? Stew? Soup? I'm open to anything.

Oh and I got new glasses too. A set of 4 was only $6 so I picked up new cocktail glasses and hiball glasses too. We were down to about 4 of each size after all the breaking we've done this month!

Last edited:
My trusty Visions DO met with a terrible fate yesterday, so today I went out shopping to find a replacement. Did you know its pretty tough to find a DO here in a department store? At least one that isn't a part of a full set of cookware.

Well after much searching (Ken was a trooper, there was no whining at ALL) we were on our way home and I'd resigned myself to not getting a new DO. We noticed a little kitchen store and stopped in. Glory be! There she was, just as pretty as can be! My new dutch oven. Cast iron and a thing of beauty! I can't wait to get seasoning and try it out!

What to cook first???? So many options! Anyone have a good suggestion? Roast? Stew? Soup? I'm open to anything.

Oh and I got new glasses too. A set of 4 was only $6 so I picked up new cocktail glasses and hiball glasses too. We were down to about 4 of each size after all the breaking we've done this month!

Great! I don't have any suggestions right this minute...a roast would be good. When you said new glasses, I thought you meant seeing glasses...:LOL:

Congratulations! You'll love it.

Fried chicken! Not much better than that and it helps season the pot.

Thank you both! I hadn't thought of fried chicken, but that might be just the ticket. I'll have to wait a while to do that though. Darn it! I work tomorrow night and we are doing a prime rib on Saturday. Fried chicken on Sunday sounds like a plan!

Woohoo! A new toy AND my menu planned for the next few days. Doesn't get much better than that.

I've got it in the oven right now. I'm such a dork I keep running in to check on it. What the heck do I think is going to happen to it? :rolleyes:

Thank you both! I hadn't thought of fried chicken, but that might be just the ticket. I'll have to wait a while to do that though. Darn it! I work tomorrow night and we are doing a prime rib on Saturday. Fried chicken on Sunday sounds like a plan!

Woohoo! A new toy AND my menu planned for the next few days. Doesn't get much better than that.

I've got it in the oven right now. I'm such a dork I keep running in to check on it. What the heck do I think is going to happen to it? :rolleyes:

Grow legs and crawl away?:LOL:

I get excited about new stuff too. Can't say I'd keep checking on a pot in the oven, but can't say I wouldn't either.

Heeheeheeheehee! I'm such a weenie. That's gotta be somewhere in the back of my mind! Pathetic.

Anyone else like this about new kitchen toys?

I got myself a Keurig Coffee Pot for the office, took it in today and had to keep visiting it and tried out about 4 different coffees. I might sleep tonight!:LOL:

I haven't bought myself a new kitchen toy for a while. The last stuff I bought was some Paderno cookie sheets and a silicone mat for baking. That was at least a year, maybe even 2 years ago. I have a PILE of stuff on my Amazon wish list, but folks just aren't getting the hint. I may have to start dropping subtle hints, like leaving flyers with items circled in red lying on Ken's pillow! :LOL:

I haven't bought myself a new kitchen toy for a while. The last stuff I bought was some Paderno cookie sheets and a silicone mat for baking. That was at least a year, maybe even 2 years ago. I have a PILE of stuff on my Amazon wish list, but folks just aren't getting the hint. I may have to start dropping subtle hints, like leaving flyers with items circled in red lying on Ken's pillow! :LOL:

I almost have myself talked into getting a fancier Keurig for home...

In case you need some help...

I hear Keurig is the only machine that has the ability to let you use your own coffee. And it has all the bells and whistles to clean it, and to make all different kinds of things.

In case you need some help...

I hear Keurig is the only machine that has the ability to let you use your own coffee. And it has all the bells and whistles to clean it, and to make all different kinds of things.

I was just finding all this out! I'm thinking, once the newness wears off, I'll drink less coffee, because I won't be trying to finish off the pot.

To me, a dutch oven screams; "Baked Beans! I need baked beans!" After that, pot roast, and then, osso bucko, and then, pulled pork, and then, and then, heh, heh. And then along came Jones, Tall thin Jones. Slow walkin' Jones, slow talkin' Jones, along came lonely, lanky Jones.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Osso buco? Holy moly GW, that's a big endeavour! I'll try it out one of these days but I'm going easy on myself to start. Love those ideas though! I'm thinking a pot roast is probably #2 item that will be done in there.

She looks beautiful today. All shiny and softly glowing. I am a bit irked that I work today and can't use her TODAY. Patience patience! Gotta wait til Sunday.

Woo Hoo.......glad for your find, Alix. Did you get a porcelain clad?
I love my pretty red one. I'm curious though........
My trusty Visions DO met with a terrible fate yesterday, so today I went out shopping to find a replacement.

What the heck happened to the old one?

Woo Hoo.......glad for your find, Alix. Did you get a porcelain clad?
I love my pretty red one. I'm curious though........

What the heck happened to the old one?

I didn't get the porcelain clad. Just a black beauty. And my old one was Visions, which is kind of a pyrex material, but one that you can use on a stove element.

I'd made a DO full of turkey soup and put it outside in the pot. (Big walk in freezer!;)) I brought it in the house to thaw out so I could have some for lunch and inadvertently put it on an element on the stove that was still hot. Oops. Crack! It cracked in several places. I DID manage to salvage the still frozen soup though. Got a nasty little cut on my jaw though, those freaking pieces were sharp. I'm telling folks I cut myself shaving. LOL!

And I couldn't wait til Sunday to use it. I made turkey a la king in her. LOL. I figure the gravy is good and greasy and will help season it.

To me, a dutch oven screams; "Baked Beans! I need baked beans!" After that, pot roast, and then, osso bucko, and then, pulled pork, and then, and then, heh, heh. And then along came Jones, Tall thin Jones. Slow walkin' Jones, slow talkin' Jones, along came lonely, lanky Jones.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Slow cookin' Jones?

How the heck did you cut your jaw?

I have a brown/amber Visions DO. I used to use it in my old microwave without the turn table to make corned beef. It turned great!! But when that machine died I got a new one with the turn table and the DO filled with water and the beef was to heavy for the turntable to turn.

Back
Top Bottom