New Wagner Ware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bevmoo8

Assistant Cook
I bought a 9.5 inch square cast iron skillet on ebay. The bottom says Wagner Ware original 1891. Does any body have any of these original 1891 killets? My question about it is, I thought that wagner was top grade. tis pan looked like poor quality (but I do not know alot about cast iron pans). this one was really rough and had places on it that was raised up and extra rough. I seasoned it and it did good after I seasoned it still has the rougness but cooks good. I have saw better Lodge pans than this one is this normal of the newer wagner? Thanks Bev

Wagner began making this "1891 Original" line in 1991 in celebration of their 100th anniversary. Don't worry, you'll notice less roughness as the piece becomes more seasoned.

Thank you for your replies. I seasoned the skillet and it did good, as good as nonstick. But there is still one small place that is really raised and rough. I was just surprised at the quality of this pan with it being a wagner. Have heard so much about wagner ware. The place is about the size of a nickle and over to the side of the pan. It does not effect the way the pan fries food though so that is good.

I hope you didn't overpay for this. Wagner is a collectible cast iron and since it was "dated" it might seem to be older than it really is. Glad for the information above about the comemmoration release. Forewarned is--well you know.
It will continue to season as others have said and eventually you will have a fine cast iron skillet with all its good attributes.
Any cast iron can be mistreated and look/perform badly no matter what the brand name. "Looks" can be just poor seasoning and correctable. Good luck with your new pan.

Back
Top Bottom