New wok - stains my hands black?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anonymous

Senior Cook
Any one can give me an idea why the new wok i have has this oily thing inside out and stains my hands and kitchen towels black? The instruction that came with it does not mention this. I have washed it with water, pat dry, wiped with oil and heated / cooled off as per instructions. Still staining. Yuck. How will I cook in this thing? Thanks in advance for any idea.
Boksor the fat cat

Your wok is of carbon steel, and the manufacturer coats it with an oil to prevent rust until it is sold and in use. Wash it thoroughly with hot detergent. (Dishwasher "pot scrubber" will do nicely). Then heat it to moderately hot and add vegetable oil, rubbing it over the entire inner surface. Let cool and wipe out excess oil. You should be ready to go then.

Low carbon steel is not nearly as porous as cast iron, so seasoning is not nearly as critical. Washing normally and rinsing well should keep it in good shape. Adding oil to a hot wok from then on whould keep foods from sticking.

I only occasionally wash mine, preferring to wipe it clean with a paper towel. The remaining film of oil inhibits rust.

Back
Top Bottom