Newer nonstick frying pan surfaces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
.... and, yes, I did look up the other line and read it, but it was getting long and unwieldy.

I'm mostly interested in the newer lines of nonstick surfaces. From what I understand the Teflon ones that I used to buy cheap and throw away without regrets when they ceased to be nonstick w/o regrets, are going to be going away. So I thought I'd try one of the newer surfaces. I bought a couple of Wustoff from Chef's catalog. First of all, imagine my .... well, that I wasn't happy, when I saw, no, not made in Germany, but in China! So much for German engineering (I have the knives and love them) I could pay a fraction and get something off the TV commercials or WalMart made in China. And the darned (@#$##$%^) things are not remotely nonstick. My regular Sitram skillets are more nonstick. Even greasy bacon sticks! I'm thinking of trying those el cheapo green ones. I don't do cast iron for the same reason I never was able to keep a good wok .... I don't consider myself a clean fanatic, but cannot resist scrubbing pans with soap and water. Both of the above rust after doing that! What one person's "seasoning" is another person's "coating of grease". So, anyone else tried these "green" pans that are supposed to replace cheap Teflon? Maybe I'll just go and stock up on cheap Teflon!

The only pans I ever use are Stainless Steel. They're easy to clean (get Barkeeper's Friend at Target for $2 if you need to scrub them) and they're the safest to use.

I had no idea how dangerous the non-stick ones were till it killed my birds! I turned the heat on under the pan one day years ago, and immediately one of my kids screamed from outside - I ran out and when I came back in a couple minutes later, one bird was dead. (The parakeets lived in the kitchen). Later another one passed from the same thing.

I researched and Buckytom also helped in the matter. Yep, if you look on the packaging, it will say something about "Avian" something-or-other. The chemicals let off from a non-stick surface without anything in it will kill small animals.

If it can do that to an animal, what is it doing to your food?

Watch cooking shows. They use stainless.k

I'm under the impression that the toxic chemicals used in NS cookware are no longer in use. Is that not true?

.... and, yes, I did look up the other line and read it, but it was getting long and unwieldy.

I'm mostly interested in the newer lines of nonstick surfaces. From what I understand the Teflon ones that I used to buy cheap and throw away without regrets when they ceased to be nonstick w/o regrets, are going to be going away. So I thought I'd try one of the newer surfaces. I bought a couple of Wustoff from Chef's catalog. First of all, imagine my .... well, that I wasn't happy, when I saw, no, not made in Germany, but in China! So much for German engineering (I have the knives and love them) I could pay a fraction and get something off the TV commercials or WalMart made in China. And the darned (@#$##$%^) things are not remotely nonstick. My regular Sitram skillets are more nonstick. Even greasy bacon sticks! I'm thinking of trying those el cheapo green ones. I don't do cast iron for the same reason I never was able to keep a good wok .... I don't consider myself a clean fanatic, but cannot resist scrubbing pans with soap and water. Both of the above rust after doing that! What one person's "seasoning" is another person's "coating of grease". So, anyone else tried these "green" pans that are supposed to replace cheap Teflon? Maybe I'll just go and stock up on cheap Teflon!

Claire,

I was looking at one of those "green" nonstick pans too and wondering about them. I normally do not use nonstick, but would also like to hear what others say about these. Unfortunately, the one I saw today (the as seen on tv one) is made in China :(

I'm under the impression that the toxic chemicals used in NS cookware are no longer in use. Is that not true?

I thought there was a couple more years left on them. If they're toxic, by the way, I'm already dead. I'm thinking of stocking up on them before they're taken off the market.

Claire,

I was looking at one of those "green" nonstick pans too and wondering about them. I normally do not use nonstick, but would also like to hear what others say about these. Unfortunately, the one I saw today (the as seen on tv one) is made in China :(

If I find one of those TV ones tomorrow when I'm shopping (there's a "as seen on TV" store where I'm going), I'll try one and report back! Of course, in ten years, if they work, someone will find that THEY are toxic! :rolleyes:

Face it, everything is made in China these days. I was just surprised that Wustoff lent their name in that way. :ermm:

They create toxic fumes if overheated. Usually if you are heating something in a Teflon pan you are ok, but occasionally they can get hot enough to create the fumes. You can smell it when it happens. The flakes that chip off can be ingested safely.

Has anyone tried the ceramic "non-stick" pans? (Or is that what the green ones you are talking about are?)

They create toxic fumes if overheated. Usually if you are heating something in a Teflon pan you are ok, but occasionally they can get hot enough to create the fumes. You can smell it when it happens. The flakes that chip off can be ingested safely.

Has anyone tried the ceramic "non-stick" pans? (Or is that what the green ones you are talking about are?)

I think maybe the green non stick one might be a thin ceramic, but I'm not sure. They are pretty inexpensive so I guess it could be a cheap substitute ;)

Good to know, I only use NS for eggs and I never get them screaming hot anyway so I am probably ok.

What is a green pan? I don't recall seeing those advertised anywhere.
That said (asked), my new Circulon sauce pan is non-stick. I have never seen such a non-stick surface. I heated up some gravy and pork in it and the gravy poured right out. You wouldn't know the pan had been used if not for a couple drops up by the spout. I will replace my other sauce pans with the same kind (minus the strainer lid feature).
I like non-stick sauce pans because I can cook down a sauce and don't have that ring from the reduced liquid that sticks to the sides. It rinses right out or the dishwasher takes care of it. With SS that ring cooks on.

I only use stainless pans. I learned the secret to using them without anything sticking was to 'season them once in a while. I do this by putting the pan on med heat pouring in sunflower oil and enough kosher salt (any salt will do) to make a thin paste. Let the pan sit there for an hour. Let the pan cool and using the same oil/salt mixture move on the the next pan. Stainless steel is actually very porous. There are millions of tiny craters on the surface. The oil helps the salt fill up the craters making the pan 'non-stick' It's the food that get into the craters that causes sticking. I usually just wipe out the pans after cooking with them but sometimes I do wash them in warm water no detergent. The water/detergent washes away the salt in the craters otherwise. When I cook anything with these pans I preheat the pan first. Never to high heat just medium.

I only use stainless pans. I learned the secret to using them without anything sticking was to 'season them once in a while. I do this by putting the pan on med heat pouring in sunflower oil and enough kosher salt (any salt will do) to make a thin paste. Let the pan sit there for an hour. Let the pan cool and using the same oil/salt mixture move on the the next pan. Stainless steel is actually very porous. There are millions of tiny craters on the surface. The oil helps the salt fill up the craters making the pan 'non-stick' It's the food that get into the craters that causes sticking. I usually just wipe out the pans after cooking with them but sometimes I do wash them in warm water no detergent. The water/detergent washes away the salt in the craters otherwise. When I cook anything with these pans I preheat the pan first. Never to high heat just medium.

Salt huh? Sounds dubious, but certainly worth a shot! I am going to try this and post my results!

OK, I happened to be shopping in Dubuque (wow, small town girl in the "big" city) and bought one of those "green" pans. Took it home for the grand challenge; chop chae. Those clear noodles stick like, well, I won't swear. The darned thing that cost almost nothing (I think $30 for the highest one) worked a charm. I'll give you updates as I try various other foods in it. But it already, with one use, has out-performed the Wustoff pans that Goodwill will probably wind up selling.

OK, I happened to be shopping in Dubuque (wow, small town girl in the "big" city) and bought one of those "green" pans. Took it home for the grand challenge; chop chae. Those clear noodles stick like, well, I won't swear. The darned thing that cost almost nothing (I think $30 for the highest one) worked a charm. I'll give you updates as I try various other foods in it. But it already, with one use, has out-performed the Wustoff pans that Goodwill will probably wind up selling.

And you do have to season the Greenorganic ones also. That comes as a surprise to some folks. :angel:

Addie why and how would one "season" a non stick pan?

I have no idea why. But as I said, it does come as a surprise to most folks. Those are the directions given when you buy a new one. Take a look at the reviews on Amazon. :angel:

Most quality nonstick cookware no longer has any PFOE or other harmful chemicals - including the new formula Teflon. The cheaper stuff not always the case. Products made before around 2005 are not subject to the same restrictions and current products.

My favorite is the Woll Diamond's Plus which uses a diamond based coating which can stand metal utensils because it is so hard and performs really well. May be a bit more expensive than Wal Mart or As Seen on TV but they have a 10 guarantee.

The new ceramic coated nonstick I have not tried and have not seen any test results from any of the test kitchens yet. I will be researching as new products are announced for the Home and Housewares Show in Marck.

Salt huh? Sounds dubious, but certainly worth a shot! I am going to try this and post my results!
I think lots of people look at a shiny stainless steel pan and assume b/c it's 'shiny' the the surface must be really really smooth. "316Ti STAINLESS STEEL:
The cooking surface of Saladmaster® cookware is 316Ti surgical stainless steel it is the highest grade of steel used in the cookware industry. It is non-porous, meaning you can cook without oil and it's much easier to clean than regular stainless steel.

Regarding the metal, most cookware sold in stores is an 18/10 grade of steel at best. Because of the softness of this grade of metal, when heated, it expands and the food sticks to the pan. You are then forced to cook with oil and the pan becomes difficult to clean. In addition the natural acids and salts contained in our foods can create a chemical reaction with ordinary cooking surfaces."
Note that any 'non-surgical' ss pans expand. That means the pores open up and food gets in the little craters and that's why it's so difficult to cook anything using inexpensive ss pans. All my pans are ss but I only have two that are made from surgical steel. That's why I'm so careful to 'season' the others with the salt/oil treatment. It makes a BIG difference as long as the pans don't get used at screaming hot temps.

I think lots of people look at a shiny stainless steel pan and assume b/c it's 'shiny' the the surface must be really really smooth. "316Ti STAINLESS STEEL:
The cooking surface of Saladmaster® cookware is 316Ti surgical stainless steel it is the highest grade of steel used in the cookware industry. It is non-porous, meaning you can cook without oil and it's much easier to clean than regular stainless steel.

Regarding the metal, most cookware sold in stores is an 18/10 grade of steel at best. Because of the softness of this grade of metal, when heated, it expands and the food sticks to the pan. You are then forced to cook with oil and the pan becomes difficult to clean. In addition the natural acids and salts contained in our foods can create a chemical reaction with ordinary cooking surfaces."
Note that any 'non-surgical' ss pans expand. That means the pores open up and food gets in the little craters and that's why it's so difficult to cook anything using inexpensive ss pans. All my pans are ss but I only have two that are made from surgical steel. That's why I'm so careful to 'season' the others with the salt/oil treatment. It makes a BIG difference as long as the pans don't get used at screaming hot temps.

Thanks for the info- I've been using ss for about a year now, and while I'm getting better with them, I still have issues with things sticking sometimes. That definitely makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom