Nonstick frying pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
My smaller one has seen better days, and I've noticed that there are a lot of new nonstick surfaces around. Supposedly they are "greener", one brand literally so. Has anyone tried any of these newer surfaces? I have a flat-top electric stove, so need a very flat bottom pan, preferably with a thick bottom surface. I'm just curious.

I got a really nice farberware set for Christmas that I just love. I don't know if they are supposed to be greener or anything like that, but they cook well, are dishwasher safe, and look really nice.

If I had any advise I would say go midrange in price, since non-stick wear out eventually, don't spend a boatload of cash.

I have a Wearever skillet that is safe with metal utensils, I've had it for about 12 years and it has served me well, I can still get a couple more years out of it. Probably the best piece of non-stick that I have ever owned.

Claire - The last time I bought a non-stick, it was Calphalon I think, smaller size for cooking eggs, which is about all I use it for, The Bottom Was Not Flat !! :ohmy: I didn't know this until I got it home and it kept tilting/ listing to one side. I took it back and All the same ones on the hanger display would not sit flat on a shelf in the store. Sheesh. I bought some other brand. Anyway, do a quality check before buying.

Go to Amazon and read the reviews. The "green" non-stick it seems are not holding up well at all. And the one that is advertised on TV? Save your money. Really bad reviews all around. For the time being, get a non-stick that you know will hold up. Eventually these will be phased out according to the government edict. But they better find a better replacement than the "green" ceramic non-stick. :ohmy:

I have 2 small nonstick skillets which dont get used much.

One is emerilware which looks brand new 3 years later. Got it for like $15 at WS Outlet.

The other is T-fal which is about to bite the dust.

I'm tired of spending money on non-stick pans. Grant it, the two I own have lasted 10 years, but I just don't want to put out the money to keep replacing them. I've decided to switch entirely to cast iron. The more you use them, the more non-stick they get, they heat evenly, get hot quick, and they last forever. The downside is that they are really heavy. I've gone with the original cast iron - Lodge, not the fancier brands. I figure my children will be able to pass them on to their children.

for "non stick" my sis likes the Chef Todd English ceramic green pans. I don;t care for anything with a "name" on it I have found that cast iron, carbon steel Lyonaise pans or quartz coated "manpans" do quite well for my non stick cooking needs.

I choose to go cheap for non-stick skillets. At Costco you can get a two skillet set for $20-$25.

In general I look for thick aluminum pans with an enameled exterior and a better Teflon surface. Teflon Classic is more delicate than Teflon Platinum, for example.

The thick aluminum ensures even heat distribution, the enameled exterior makes it dishwasher safe.

I quit using non-stick pans about 30-35 years ago. I didn't like how flimsy the surface was and I'm not all that fond of the non-stick aspect either. I hear they have gotten much better, but I really don't know what I would use them for.

I buy T-fal "egg pans," get many years out of them...as long as I can keep Shrek from killing knives in them and stirring with forks. He's learning though...he'll be 66 next Monday.

I do usually go with relatively inexpensive nonstick pans so no hesitation in tossing them every few years, but I do love them. Mom used to buy the cheapest when we were kids, knowing that it didn't have a long life. Then she'd take them on a camping trip, and when the trip was over, into the trash.

I'll have to check out the Amazon route, but I have a problem with mail/email ordering in that they never show a profile of the pan or the bottom. Rounded edges don't work all that well on flat electric stove tops.

I picked mine up at my local resturant supply they are "Winco" with a solid aluminum base, oven safe to 400. The larger one is a flared 14 inch outside measure 12 inside. This is the workhorse for me, I use it almost daily for everything from steaks to veg. I think I paid 30-35 bucks for it. I would buy another one in a hot minute when the need arises, so far though, it is still working well.:D

I prefer cast iron, but it is heavy. I have a carbon steel pan that I got several years ago. It is as non-stick as any cast iron pan I own. Well seasoned carbon steel might be something you could check out. I have litltle use for any of the modern non-stick coatings. This is a personal preference and I have no wish to offend those who use modern non-stick cookware.

I gave up on non-stick. I have two perfectly honed and seasoned cast iron pans and a medium size stainless steel pan with a thick core. The two cast iron pans came from the flea market and the stainless pan came from the thrift shop. I agree with danbuter make sure you can toss em in the oven and then have the sense not to grab the handle. I did that one years ago, I'm a fast learner, now I assume all handles are hot.

I prefer cast iron, but it is heavy. I have a carbon steel pan that I got several years ago. It is as non-stick as any cast iron pan I own. Well seasoned carbon steel might be something you could check out. I have litltle use for any of the modern non-stick coatings. This is a personal preference and I have no wish to offend those who use modern non-stick cookware.

+1

Back
Top Bottom