Nonstick grillpan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
I want to buy a grillpan, but I don't know whether I should buy a nonstick grillpan or not. Which do you recommend (why)? Thanks in advance......

I really love my non-stick grill pan for the very reason that it's a BREEZE to clean up! No matter what kind you settle on, it's got to be one of our very favorite and most often used pans!

I have a CI grill pan...WagnerWare. I treat it like a searing pan, which means I don't really worry about getting it, in the words of the Triumph Motorcycle Co, ltd, "scrupulously clean." When the stuff does build up, I just burn it off, reseason, and start over. Seems to work just fine.

I don't think I'd want a round one either (not that size or shape has come up), but it's something that crosses my mind every time I see a small or round one.

What about the black marks on grilled food? I've read it's unhealthy and that you'd better remove that part... I wonder how many people do that though!

I think that's more for foods cooked over open flames or coals. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it unless I ate grilled foods five meals a day, seven days a week.

I don't think I'd want a round one either (not that size or shape has come up), but it's something that crosses my mind every time I see a small or round one.
I saw round Lodge grill pans at a TJ Maxx once. I remember being disappointed because I was looking for a regular, round cast iron skillet.

I have an enamel coated (on the outside, bare metal on the inside) CI grill pan that's square. It's not very huge, but it works well and I'm still working on seasoning it.

IMO, I'd never get a nonstick grill pan. Oftentimes when you're "grilling" something you are trying to cook it over high heat and that's just not something that nonstick is compatible with.

What about the black marks on grilled food? I've read it's unhealthy and that you'd better remove that part... I wonder how many people do that though!

Charred meat contains Nitrosamines which are the same substances in tobacco smoke that are known carcinogens. It's good to inform yourself of the risks, but ultimately it's your own personal decision to weigh the risks vs. rewards when living your life...

If I had a grill pan I doubt that I would be making a lot of sauces with it that would require me scraping the pan, so I would get the nonstick pan for convenience of cleanup...

I was actually very dissapointed in my Lodge grill pan. I used it once. The "grates" are too thin so there is very little contact with the food.

I have the Caphalon non-stick, as well as Caphalon SS. Both are similar in clean-up effort for me. Even though non-stick, it is still not easy to clean the grooves after use.

I'd really like to get cast-iron for better grill marks - which I'd prefer. Unfortunately, retirement being 1/2 of what it was a year ago, we have to be much more careful about expenditures :(. I know, I can hear the violins now :wacko: ...

I love my Lodge Cast Iron grill pans.

I do too! Lodge has been making cast iron cookware for years and they are the industry standard. I have many pieces of Lodge and I have to say they are all naturally non stick. I have two grillpans and both of them do the job perfectly. Inexpensive, dependable, easy to clean and they hold heat beautifuly. What else can be said?

I do too! Lodge has been making cast iron cookware for years and they are the industry standard. I have many pieces of Lodge and I have to say they are all naturally non stick. I have two grillpans and both of them do the job perfectly. Inexpensive, dependable, easy to clean and they hold heat beautifuly. What else can be said?

What she said.

Back
Top Bottom