Old cast iron skillet ain't flat no more?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zeasor

Assistant Cook
I now have Mom's old, large cast iron skillet with a concave bottom. Oil tends to run toward the middle of the skillet. Does anyone know how to flatten the bottom without going to a blacksmith? I would like to use it for more that baking cornbread:)

Wow, Zeasor, that's a new on on me. I have no idea how to correct the problem, although there are probably folks on this board who have an answer. Uncle Bob comes to mind first. Good luck on your quest for a solution.

yikes, is that what they call 'warped'? I don't think you can fix that....but I'm new to cast iron.

I'm surprised cast iron can warp like that and I'd be surprised if it could be corrected. But there are others who know more about CI than I.

Uncle Bob said:
Zeasor...

The pan is concave inside the pan. (Oil runs to the middle) Underneath is the bottom convex?? Or is it flat? ???

The bottom is concave looking inside the pan and convex looking underneath as if Mom whacked someone over the head with the inside of the pan:LOL: She was never arrested for homicide with a skillet so I doubt that is the cause. Because of the symmetry I suspect the pan warped. Does anyone know a blacksmith in north Texas?:wacko:

Zeasor....

Cast iron is a mixture of metals that make it somewhat brittle. Cracks can be successfully repaired in the hands of a skilful welder who has the proper equipment, knowledege and experience of welding cast iron. Your pan is unique in it being concave. This seemingly is due to some type of warping at sometime during the manufacturing process or use of the pan. IMO I seriously doubt that you can find a "smith" who will attempt to repair of it. The risk of further damage is greater than the slight chance of reparing it. My guess is, you will be told that it cannot be repaired and told to just buy another one.
Since buying another one that "belonged to your mother" is impossible, my suggestion it to use and enjoy it as is. The risk/cost factors do not make repair feasible. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
The possibility of getting the pan "repaired" seems quite low, so I'd delegate the pan to official "cornbread" cooker and buy another pan for other CI cooking. At least this way, you'll still have it as a reminder of your mother and, perhaps, with the new one create another treasured skillet to pass on to your offspring.

Cast iron pans are rather inexpensive, and available just about anywhere, even the local hardware store. I second buying a new one, and skip your next two or three Starbucks trips to cover the cost.

Keep mom's skilet as a memento and use it as a kitchen decoration. Buy a new Lodge cast iron pan for cooking.

you would have to melt it down and re cast it ... not practical. the warp probably happened through thermal shock...over heating pan or a cold shock to a hot pan.
Your pan can still be used for many things in the oven, on the grill or camp fire and on a gas cooktop.

THANKS one and all. I appreciate the help. You have convinced me I now have a well-seasoned boat anchor. Anyone know of a good forum for buying a boat:):):)

A little late on my response... but what everyone else said. Once metal has been fatigued it will never come back to its original shape.

Back
Top Bottom