One meal dish pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwind30

Assistant Cook
What is the difference between "everyday pan", "chef's Pan" ,"saute pan" and chicken fryer. I like to make one meal dishes and would like to know which pan you think would be best.
Thank you

For me, choosing a pan depends on what I am making and how the dish starts out. Sometimes, when making a chicken dish that requires browning, I might use a saute pan. I just make sure all my other ingredients fit in it without spilling over. When browning hunks of meat for maybe a stew beef I use more of a Dutch oven...even if I have to brown in batches the Dutch oven works better.

It really depends on what the dish is.

skillet for browning and quick cooking. crockpot of chili , etc. casseroles. i have an assortment of corning ware , different size's. i use if baking a casserole or for the micro. like kitchenelf says , it all depends.

Different brands market their cookware in different ways - the names change simply to confuse you!!!

There is little difference between a Chef's pan, a Skillet, a Saute Pan, Chicken Pan, Stir-fry pan etc. My advice to you is BUY ONE WITH A GOOD FITTING LID. this way you can use if for stews, casseroles, risotto, steam cooking, frying and much much more - 24 cm is a great size too.

I agree with Kitchenelf - an enameled cast iron Dutch oven is great for browning most anything and then building upon it - into a stew for instance. I might also suggest a cast iron skillet with a splatter cover is tough to beat for things such as fried chicken or steak.

Cast iron gets hotter, retains heat, and heats more evenly than stainless or copper.

I don't really pay attention to names of definitions of pans. I grab what I need and use it .
If I'm going to make fried rice with a tonne of veggies I use a skillet ( stainless steel cuisinart ). If I'm making a pasta with chicken or beef I also use a skillet. For hashbrowns I'd use the large but not deep frying pan . For browning ground beef I'd use the skillet or dutch oven style pot. It all depends on what you are comfortable with using
If I was making a one dish meal I 'd use the dutch oven or skillet definitely.

Back
Top Bottom