One piece to rule them all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baylorbeargp

Assistant Cook
So today is my birthday and am trying to pick out a gift (for myself). I've concluded I want a SS pan of some sort (just one for now).I really like cooking meats and am wanting to try my hand at pan sauces.I have researched and researched and am having trouble deciding. Please help with size, type of pan, and brand. I don't want to spend a lot unless I have to. I normally just cook for two sometimes more and I have an electric range with the biggest heating element being about 9inches.

Happy Birthday!

What is your price range and how many are you cooking for? My first thought is some sort of 12" frying pan. Get one that is clad. All Clad is a top name, but is on the expensive side. It depends on what you consider expensive though.

WalMart sells this brand which has been discussed in here a bit lately:
Walmart.com: For the Home: Kitchen & Dining: Cookware, Bakeware & Tools: Pans

I like the Macy's store brand and have several pieces:
Macy's | Tools of the Trade Belgique Stainless Steel, Tools of the Trade Belgique Stainless Steel Cookware - Macy's

And check out the Kemore SS at KMart. I looked at it again over the weekend and it is pretty nice. (I'm on a hunt for a new large covered skillet but they didn't have the size I am looking for)

For a pan that will get heavy use, I'd spend a little extra. I use a 12" All-Clad stainless steel skillet (they call it a fry pan).

Thank you all for the advice. I ended up going for the tramontina 12" fry pan (they call it a saute pan". It has everything I was looking for and got amazing reviews and it was pretty cheap which I like for my first SS pan. I sauted onions and peppers in it tonight and it worked great! After cleaning it I noticed onion shaped discoloration anyone know if this is normal?

Not uncommon. Clean the pan with BKF - Barkeepers Friend. It's a mild abrasive cleanser that's the industry standard for cleaning SS cookware.

Ok glad to hear its not uncommon. Do most people clean with barkeepers friend after every use or just every month or so?

I almost always use BKF as a last step in cleaning. If you leave any food residue in the pan, it will encourage food's sticking. I like to leave the inside of the pan looking like new when I put it away. There will be cosmetic scratches in the pan. Nothing to be done about it and they are not an issue.

So today is my birthday and am trying to pick out a gift (for myself). I've concluded I want a SS pan of some sort (just one for now).I really like cooking meats and am wanting to try my hand at pan sauces.I have researched and researched and am having trouble deciding. Please help with size, type of pan, and brand. I don't want to spend a lot unless I have to. I normally just cook for two sometimes more and I have an electric range with the biggest heating element being about 9inches.

Happy Birthday and welcome to DC! :)

How much do you want to spend? This is the first consideration. If I was to choose, it would be a Le Creuset, as illustrated here:

Le Creuset 3-Ply Chef's Non-Stick Pan with Lid 24 cm - £81.50 : Salamander Cookshop UK

I'll tell you for why. Apart from obvious high quality, this pan will cook evenly, has a superb deep fitting lid that is easy to grab hold of and, the pan is beautifully balanced. It also is guaranteed for 10 years.

Or,

You could pay more, but get one of the best frying pans in the business, a copper beaut to be proud of, made by Lyonnaise which I am proud to use. 12"/30cm, it has all the best things going for it, and can be put in the oven.

The French House | Lyonnaise Frying Pans

My family have been using Lyonnaise pans for years, but these pans are commercial quality of the highest order, though will last a lifetime. Mine would be the COP019. Okay, you would be paying the equivalent of £125.00 in US Dollars. But I tell you, the frying pan is worth it. And, because it's copper, it looks absolutely fabulous.

happy belated b'day, b-bear.

i have the 5 qt. ss deep saute from tramontina, and it's my most used pan by far.

for the price, it blows all clad away. i hope you have the same experience with it.

I have several pieces of Tramontina SS cookware that I purchased from Walmart. They are wonderful and had be tested by America's Test Kitchen and got a thumbs up rating. I think for the price, you can't go wrong.

As far at the BKF, I don't use it after evey cleaning. May once a month or even longer. It really depends on how much residue you have.

Happy Birthday and have have cooking with your new pan.

I have a glass stovetop and tried using Calphalon hard anodized skillets and pans and found that they warp to the point that they spin with just the barest touch. I've sold them and now use Cuisinart products that have an encapsulated disk in the bottom. They don't spin and maintain contact with the stovetop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom