Pan Etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stevie

Cook
Hey, I'm wondering what kind of pan's these chef's use to sear with. These cooking programs always show them using high heat on the stove then placing the pan in the oven to finish the dish. All Clad advises to not use high heat or it will void the warrantee. How do you sear meat with medium heat? The only pan I know of that can handle high heat is cast iron or wok's. What's the big picture?

hey stevie,
my all clad cookware says it can handle oven temps to about 400 degrees, but i've worn it out and stayed below that temp. i think i'd go for stainless steel or copper sandwiched in steel next time.
i use cast iron for any high heat applications, or "sear in the pan then pop in the oven" type meats, like thick cuts of beef tenderloin or chops. they heat pretty evenly, and retain heat well also. if you season them well, they get kinda non-sticky. if they eventually get a bit of rust, all you have to do is sand it out and re-season. they'll last for years. i have a grill pan, which is great for meats, and a regular fry pan; great for pan fried stuff like chicken. my frying pan was my aunt's, whom i think got it from her mil from scotland, so it's at least 75 years old.
just one more note, a caveat really. do not put heat to non-stick cookware for too long without putting something in the pan to cook. overheated non-stick cookware releases a poisin gas (phosgene, i think) that can harm you and your pets, especially birds.

i have almost all clad-ware and it can take heat. but if you're worried, the cast iron is great.

i have all-clad and le creuset at home, and i've used analon, calphalon, etc. and others. i always turn everything on to high and let the oil smoke before I sear anything, and I haven't experienced any problems so far. The pans will be okay unless you have rubber/plastic handles and you put them into an oven that is too hot. The manufacturers just put those things on to protect themselves. put your burners on high and sear away

If you look closely, you'll see the pans they use are restraurant equipment. You can get these pans at any restaurant equipment store in your area. They are terrific for high heat cooking and of course they go from stovetop to oven. I have 2 of them along with my all time favorites, LeCreuset and Lodge Cast Iron. Check it out.

Stevie said:
Hey, I'm wondering what kind of pan's these chef's use to sear with. These cooking programs always show them using high heat on the stove then placing the pan in the oven to finish the dish. All Clad advises to not use high heat or it will void the warrantee. How do you sear meat with medium heat? The only pan I know of that can handle high heat is cast iron or wok's. What's the big picture?

My all time favorite is my cast iron skillets. They are the greatest, to me, for going from stove top to oven. I prepare meats like that all the time. I use two, one to sear and the second one is in the oven, when the meat is seared I transfer it to the second one in the oven, then deglaze the first with dry vermouth, chicken stock, etc. When the meat is done, I pour whatever juices have collected in that pan into the deglazed pan, reduce and add 1 tbsp butter and blend and pour over meat. The cast iron skillets are nothing to clean, I run them under warm water and wipe with a paper towel. Sounds complicated but it really is not.

green.gif
:roll: DUCKS GOT PLUCKED IN OKLA

norgeskog said:
Stevie said:

My all time favorite is my cast iron skillets. They are the greatest, to me, for going from stove top to oven. I prepare meats like that all the time. I use two, one to sear and the second one is in the oven, when the meat is seared I transfer it to the second one in the oven, then deglaze the first with dry vermouth, chicken stock, etc. When the meat is done, I pour whatever juices have collected in that pan into the deglazed pan, reduce and add 1 tbsp butter and blend and pour over meat. The cast iron skillets are nothing to clean, I run them under warm water and wipe with a paper towel. Sounds complicated but it really is not.

green.gif

Another method I've heard of but not used to clean cast iron skillets is to wipe them out with salt and a piece of bread.

mudbug said:
norgeskog said:
Stevie said:

green.gif

Another method I've heard of but not used to clean cast iron skillets is to wipe them out with salt and a piece of bread.

mudbug you are right, however, that is to reseason a rusted pan, which I use the kosher or rock salt, but never tried bread, but will. Thanks

maatha stewart reccomends you clean cast iron with salt only, no water, but then again when do you think was the last time she washed dishes?
i rinse out my cast iron, and if food is really burnt, i'll put an inch of water in it and boil the burned stuff to soften it, then scrape and wash it out. just be sure as norgeskog said to dry it with a towel well, and i usually put mine back on a burner for a minute or two to be sure they're dry.

The professional chefs don't care diddly squat about what happens to the pans they're using. If a pan discolors because of overheating, so what? If it's a tv show, they get a new one. If it's a real commercial kitchen, they keep using the pan. They don't care what it looks like so long as it works and the food comes out the way they want it.

All Clad doesn't want you to complain about warped pans or discolored stainless steel, so they warn against high heat.

Of course, any pan will overheat to the point it's damaged if left on too long at max heat.

Thanks for the feedback. I email All Clad and they said this.

Thank you for your interest in All-Clad products.

While we do not recommend the use of high heat that is not to say that the heat cannot be increased carefully. You can use higher heat to sear meats as long as you watch carefully and make sure not to overheat the pan.

gotta take a lot into consideration as always:

your stove: how high is high heat?? do you have a jiffy apt range circa 1943, or do you have a Vulcan Home Instalation with WOK burner at 25,000 btus??

are we talking gas or electric or glasstop??

are you walking away to clean the toilet while your pan cracks and melts or are you an attentive cook?

And finally is it a good thick heavy pan or is it a flimsy ppiece of stamped metal. non stick lined?? etc

oh, and how's your ventilation?? I wish I could smoke up my house the way they do on FoodTV without the firetrucks showing up!! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom