Perforated Pie Plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mittshel

Cook
Does anyone use this pie plate? I'm curious about results. All comments welcome. Thank you. Betsy.

Test Kitchen reported that the perforated pans produced the soggiest kind of sorry pie crust of all. They speculate that the perforations, which are intended to allow steam to escape, do indeed allow steam to escape. The problem is that the steam limits the temperature across the bottom and actually prevents good browning. I presume this is mainly a problem with filled pies where the crust cooks from bottom heat.

Glass and ceramic are consistently felt to be best. There is a decided split about metal, whether it should be dark or light colored. I suspect that the difference is according to what work is being done. Dark is okay for bare prebaking of crusts. Light is preferred for filled pies, so the crust doesn't overcook before the filling.

I bought some Chicago Metallic perforated pans and they were awful, I was expecting them to produce a nicely baked crust, but just the opposite happened, even with a long 1 hour bake with pecan pie, they were still doughy on the bottom. I threw them away. The holes will allow the fat to drip out the bottom making a smoky mess in the bottom of the oven.

Go for glass, ceramic, or glazed stoneware, these will give you the best performance in my experience. The glass will allow you to check the bottom. I would stay away from non-stick, since pie is cut IN the pan, the first use will likely end up damaging the pan.

Last edited:
Perforated Pie Pan Update

Tried this pie pan today and was pleasantly surprised. Used convection oven. It came out perfectly browned. I let it cool and made a cream pie. Because the crust was cooked through (thus the holes) it was much easier to serve than any of my other pies. The crust was firmer than with my Pyrex. All in all I don't have a single complaint about this pan. Insomuch as I paid a quarter for it at a yard sale, I think I'll keep it. Thanks for all your input. Betsy.

mittshel said:
Tried this pie pan today and was pleasantly surprised. Used convection oven. It came out perfectly browned. I let it cool and made a cream pie. Because the crust was cooked through (thus the holes) it was much easier to serve than any of my other pies. The crust was firmer than with my Pyrex. All in all I don't have a single complaint about this pan. Insomuch as I paid a quarter for it at a yard sale, I think I'll keep it. Thanks for all your input. Betsy.

I imagine that it would be fine for a empty baked shell, I used it for a filled shell and wasn't pleased with the results, I too use convection.

How can you go wrong for a quarter!

I didn't want to be the first to poo poo perforated pans, but I have to agree with the majority here.

I use Corningware blue flower pie pans, and I get great crusts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom