Please help - registering for pots & pans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have many pieces of the All-Clad SS line and really like them. I also have a piece or two of Calphalon that work fine.

That's my situation, as well.

Most of my cookware is All Clad SS but I have a few pieces of Calphalon and a couple nonstick Emerilware skillets (All Clad's cheapo stuff).

That and cast iron skillets and LC french ovens

Cowboy,

You might consider registering for a Le Creauset french oven, too

Last edited:
That's my situation, as well.

Most of my cookware is All Clad SS but I have a few pieces of Calphalon and a couple nonstick Emerilware skillets (All Clad's cheapo stuff).

That and cast iron skillets and LC french ovens

Cowboy,

You might consider registering for a Le Creauset french oven, too

I agree in the CI and LeCrueset.

In addition to the cookware set and non stick omelet pan, can anyone suggest a brand or types of cast iron products that are high quality please?

For regular cast iron, go with Lodge Logic pre-seasoned cast iron. For enameled CI, Le Crueset is considered the gold standard.

I have a set of three cast-iron pans, plus a grill pan. I think they're something like 6-, 8- and 10-inch pans. They all have their uses: The small one works for toasting spices; the medium one for one grilled cheese sandwich; the large one for bacon, cornbread and quesadillas. That's just off the top of my head. The three-piece set is not expensive, so if you have the storage space, I'd go for that. I got a Le Creuset panini pan that has a grill pan and a top grill piece; it's non-stick, so I use that more often than the cast-iron grill pan.

All this will depend on what you and your fiancee like to cook, though.

I agree with the view that sets are over rated. What is needed at your stage in life are things that you will use now and will last for a lifetime. Basics include:
A good Dutch oven - I recommend enamel over the raw cast iron
A good skillet or probably two - small and large - stainless steel is recommended
Two sauce/saute pans - ether a 1 qt and 2 qt or a 2 and 4 qt kind of depended on what you like to cook
I would also suggest a medium sized nonstick (diamond coated) skillet because it does some things better than any alternative
A larger sauce pot with pasta insert and lid
Some non-essential suggestions would include a stove top grill, pizza stone, baking sheet and such

But don't forget some basic appliances such as a mixer, blender, etc.

I suggest quality over quantity and represent Fissler, Dansk (Batali), Berghoff, Woll and others. Most are dishwasher and oven safe with limitations. Suggest to your friends that there are frequently better deals online than at department stores and that your store registry is a suggestion.

The three cast iron suggestions are 1. Dutch oven (we use a 3 qt but 4 qt would be as good), 2. Skillet the 11" is probably the most versatile but a small one would be good as well, 3. Stove top grill which is great for everything from pancakes to steaks (we even grill pizza on ours)

After your wedding is over, and you have a chance to look at your kitchen loot, you may find that there are still more things you need.

When I did not have the funds to go out and buy premium cookware, I found it at bargain prices on the secondary market. IE: thrift shops, flea markets, garage sales, Craigslist, and Ebay.

I am fond of tin lined old heavy copper and enameled cast iron. I have found that even used Le Creuset is kind of high, but I found excellent Copco, Descoware, and Cousances enameled cast iron at good prices.

As a matter of fact I like Copco much better than Le Creuset [I have all of the brands listed]. It is made of thicker cast iron and I like the contemporary appearance.

Back
Top Bottom