Poor student still want good cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave2132

Assistant Cook
if i have $200 what can i get. dont want to throw it away after college.

pasta and anything that takes less than 1/2 hour.

i bake a little but only on weekends

Go to Le Gourmet Chef and check out their tri-ply stainless. These pots and pans are equivalent to All-Clad in quality, weight, performance, and guarantee.

Right now they're having a sale, and you can buy individual pieces or different size sets. I have had these for several years, starting with a 7 piece set I got as a birthday gift, and building on them from there. I currently have everything you see in the 12 piece set, plus a 3 quart "dutch oven" style sauce pan and a teflon coated 10-inch fry pan.

Order on the net, or click the STORE LOCATOR tab to find out if there is a retail store near you. They are usually located in Outlet Malls.

gourmet chef and kitchen konnection both have house brands of tri ply, which I like better than thin stainless with a disc bottom. But if you want that the Jamie Oliver set is quite good. You want at least one silver stone pan for eggs.

You can also go shopping at Marshalls/Home Goods and someties get quite a bargain. If you want the grey anodized aluminum, Emeril Ware or Ikea can help you.

has anybody heard of tj max they have some cookware there is it bad or just that much cheaper?

aluminum does not have a direct link to alzheimers. but untreated aluminum (unpolished or not anodyzed, reacts with acidic foods, discoloring and imparting a metalic taste.) Aluminum is a goo dheat conductor. have a look at www.fantes.com and go to their cookware tutorial.

dave2132 said:
i heard that aluminum was linked alzheimer is that just a rumor

working backwards through your questions ...

Aluminum cookware will probably not cause you to develop Alzheimer's disease - depending on which study you read. Check your library for a copy of Harold McGee's The Curious Cook and read Chapter 14 - Minding The Pots and Pans: The Case of Aluminum (pages 244-267) for a good discussion on aluminum and its correlation to Alzheimer's disease. Browse the aisles of a professional kitchen store ... almost all of the cookware is aluminum.

TJ Max sells at discount prices ... just because you get a deal (lower price) on an item there doesn't mean it is inferior quality - compared to the same item bought somewhere else at full price. Normally, burning things is caused from one of two reasons - either really thin cookware or trying to cook everything at full-bore temp to try to cook it faster under the assumption that "the higher the flame the faster it will be done". Even with the best cookware - you can burn things if the heat is too high.

There is a lot of good cookware out there these days with an "encapsulated" aluminum disk on the bottom of stainless steel pans that cook just as well as more expensive tri-ply. Anodized aluminum is good, as is cast iron and enamel coated cast iron or steel. And then there are the nonstick lines. They all have their advantages and their disadvantages as for how they cook. And, price is another consideration.

As your cooking skills grow - so will your collection of cookware. There is, IMHO, no one perfect set of cookware.

Hope this helps.

Dave, I guess like most people we have a very eclectic collection of cookware.

But for the last few years have found some SS ware at a restaurant supplier.

The stuff is very, very reasonable, holds up very well, and is new. Don't know if you can find such a place in your area but a cruise through the yellow pages would not hurt.

But if you can find an auction for a restaurant that has gone out of business, it might give you a few bargains.

And estate sales often just give away stuff from the kitchen.

Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom