Pots and pans for propane range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I have a new propane range and am finding it difficult to cook things on a low simmer. The lowest setting is not quite low enough to simmer things such as sauce, and stews, in general things that take hours to cook. My question is this...are there any pots and pans that would tolerate this and not boil my sauce/stews? I've tried cast iron, non-stick, and aluminum or steel pans, and they all seem to conduct heat in the same manner.

I'd rather use pots and pans, but would consider buying a slow cooker or crock pot, though I've never used either one. Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Hi uncle Bob, my previous stove was electric, so it was much easier to control. Since I've moved, this house is hooked up with propane gas.

The flame is blue I think, and we already tried dropping the gas level from the back of the range and it will go out if we try to go lower. Safety feature I guess. There is no pilot light for this stove btw, it's an electric charger.

Well a pure blue flame just means the air/gas ratio is right, and you are getting a good clean burn! Pilot lights have been 'history' for a long time on Home model stoves. They all use electronic igniters now. So your stove is fuctioning properly....but too hot on it lowest setting. Maybe have a service technician check it out to see if the there is anything that can be done.

Now to your question about cookware, It sounds like you have tried just about everything. So I don't have any suggestions for you.

Oh, I don't suppose there is one eye on the stove that has a lower BTU output than the others...that would be good! You could use that eye for simmering. You manual would tell you if you don't know...

If your stove does not have a low output precision simmer burner, you can buy a gadget that you put between the burner and the pot to cut down on the heat level so you can get the simmer you are looking for.

They are not very expensive (less than $10). It is two layers of performated metal with an airspace in between and a small handle.

yes get a simmer plate or a flame tamer (are sold by both names) and very useful.

I wholly endorse what Robo has said. I have a gas cooktop and, early on, had a problem with low temps and simmering. I bought a flame tamer and have had no difficulty after using it.

I don't remember what I paid for it...maybe $20 USD, but it has been a valuable tool.

You can take one of the cooking grates off a burner that is not in use and "double up" on the one you are trying to simmer on. This will add some space and might be enough to get you to the temp you need. ONLY do this if it is stable though. If it is not stable then it is not safe.

Thank you so much for the info on the simmer plate/flame tamer! I'll start looking around to see what I can find. This will be such a great help to me, thanks again everyone!

One more question...any suggestions on a product to clean the oven and the enamel cook top? So far I've just used warm water and soap on a sponge, but there are some bits that don't come clean.

Last edited:
Amber, can you provide a manufacturer and a model number? I have a Whirlpool gas cooktop and have good luck with a cleaning method I've devised for my appliance. I'll answer tomorrow because it's been a long day and I'm off to sweet dreamland.

I know what Andy M. is talking about ... and it took me a few minutes (ok it took me an hour of looking) to remember what the ones he is talking about are called (drat - didn't see Robo had already given the names) ... they are Flame Tamers or Simmer Rings. Here is one example, and here is another example - and there is another brand but I can't find them right now. Then there are also heat reducers, heat diffusers, and there are other forms of heat diffusers that are flat aluminum or cast iron plates that are more to create an even heat distribution across the bottom of the pot/pan than to reduce it.

Last edited:
Thanks, Michael. the first one is exactly what I was trying to describe. As I said. It's both cheap and effective.

Katie, I have a Frigidaire brand gas range, not sure of the model number. Michael, thanks for the pictures because I had no idea what the flame tamer looked like. I'm having a tough time finding one in stores around here, but I'll keep searching or just order it from Amazon.

Amber, my flame tamer looks like this. I don't even remember where I got it or how much I paid for it, but I think it was about $15 USD. It's very effective and I wouldn't be without it. I also use it as a trivet on the counter when not using it for a flame tamer.

Thanks Katie. I just ordered the one above that Andy M. and Michael mentioned from Amazon.com , for $2.95. I'll start with that one and see how good it performs, but I thank you for the suggestion!

My flame tamer/simmer ring arrived today! Thumbs up for this product. Very inexpensive and it simmered perfectly. Thanks for the info Robo, Andy M, and Michael.

Back
Top Bottom