Pressure Canner Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I just got my Ball Blue Book so I am anxious to start canning stuff. I will eventually be canning low acid foods so I will need a pressure canner. There was another thread on pressure cookers a while back and Michael in FtW posted a link to the three most popular brands (Mirro, Presto, and All American). The Blue book talks about two different kinds of canners. One is a weighted gauge and the other is a dial gauge. It says the weighted gauge does not need to be calibrated, but the dial gauge does before every use. In my research on the internet I have not seen either of these terms on any of the cookers I have found. Can someone clue me in?

Which style do you recommend? How do you calibrate the dial gauge? How can I tell if it is dial or weighted if it does not say anywhere? Also any other info you can give a novice canner is appreciated as well! Thanks!

Okey, GB ... put your reading glasses and try again ... :LOL:

The book doesn't say to calibrate a dial guage before each use ... it says to have the accuracy checked before each canning season. I haven't looked at how the dial guages are made - but I think it's safe to say you're not going to have the equipment or parts to calibrate or rebuild one. All you can do is replace it if it goes wonkey on you.

As to which canner is which ... if it doesn't have a dial, and just uses weights, it's a Weighted-Guage canner. If it has a dial, then it's a Dial-Guage canner.

The Mirror lines I've seen don't have a dial guage so it is a weighted-guage ... you get a choice of 5, 10, or 15 lbs. You can find the Mirro manuals at this site (listed as pressure cookers but it also includes the canners).

The Presto line is definately a Dial Guage canner - it only comes with a 15-lb weight so dial-guage accuracy is most critical for this one. You can find the Presto manuals at this site.

The All American is kind of a hybred ... depending on some things it can function as either/or. If you are processing at 5, 10, or 15 lbs - then the weight is the regulator and the dial is only a reference. If you're above sea level where you really need accuracy to get the ideal temp between 11-14 lbs - then it works like a Presto and the dial needs to be accurate. But, All American's dial is gear driven and they claim it is more accurate and doesn't have to be checked every year like other brands. You can find the All American manuals at this site (click on Continental US, then on Pressure Cookers to get to the manuals).

Personally - I like the All American best.

Michael in FtW said:
it says to have the accuracy checked before each canning season.
LOL Thanks Michael. I knew I could count on you!

I read it as session, not season :ROFLMAO: Time to make that eye doctor appointment that I have been putting off I guess!

This is some great info. All American sounds like the type I will want. It is more expensive, but sounds like it will be worth it!

Back
Top Bottom