Question about Cleaning Cast Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machx

Assistant Cook
Ok, so I seem to have gotten my cast iron pan somewhat seasoned in that I baked a chicken breast on it and it came off without sticking at all. Yay :)

My question pertains to the gunk left on the pan after - it is not exactly grease, but more like a residue of the chicken breast on it. I don't know exactly what it is, but I try to scrape it off, but it does not come off completely.

The question is - do I leave this on and it becomes part of the seasoning? Will it burn off? Small flecks of burnt crisped food that are very difficult to remove. I think the problem is I'm baking frozen chicken breasts on it... probably the hot water dissipating hurts the oil.

Also, what is the best thing to scrape the pan off with? I have a stainless steel spatula with a rounded edge - I've looked at Dough Pastry scrapers and thought they mgiht be good for the long contact

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks so much,

Matt

If it's not bothering you, it should be fine. I usually hit my cast iron lightly with a bench scraper if I've cooked something that stuck (most recently, trying to sautee some liquidy grits), then need to cook something that needs a near nonstick finish(eggs).

If it's not bothering you, it should be fine. I usually hit my cast iron lightly with a bench scraper if I've cooked something that stuck (most recently, trying to sautee some liquidy grits), then need to cook something that needs a near nonstick finish(eggs).

Thanks! I guess a bench scraper is what I was looking for. Is there any difference between a "bench scraper" and a "dough scraper" if they're both stainless steel?

I saw this one on amazon that looks perfect and has good reviews.. but it says it is sharp - is that bad for the pan's seasoning?

tinyurl.com/box6z9 Sorry have to copy/paste that I can't post direct links until 20 posts

Thanks again!

Matt

Hi. I use a rubber Pampered Chef scraper they include with stoneware purchases to clean my cast iron. I wouldn't use metal - I would think that would partially scrape off the seasoning. I'd look for some type of rubber or a vinyl scrubbie used with hot water and no soap. HTH.

Anything that will remove the residue will be fine, including your SS spabula. It need not be sharp. I use an old broken off spatula blade. If the residue is stubborn, use a little water for lubricant. IMO residue is not seasoning and could affect flavor of the next thing you cook in the skillet.

Hi. I use a rubber Pampered Chef scraper they include with stoneware purchases to clean my cast iron. I wouldn't use metal - I would think that would partially scrape off the seasoning. I'd look for some type of rubber or a vinyl scrubbie used with hot water and no soap. HTH.

Gotcha that's what I was afraid of... so is it ok to run the pan under hot water as long as you don't use soap?

So if I've been scraping the pan off with a metal spatula, does that mean I've been removing the seasoning each time? :)

Thanks again!

Gotcha that's what I was afraid of... so is it ok to run the pan under hot water as long as you don't use soap?

So if I've been scraping the pan off with a metal spatula, does that mean I've been removing the seasoning each time? :)

Thanks again!
Probably not. IMO

I use hot water and a scrubber on gunk like that. Soap if need be, too.

Have been doing it for many, many years and my CI is shiny and black.

A little soap is fine if the pan is seasoned.

Make sure you dry it completely, though.

Boil some water in it for a few minutes. Most of the gunk will come off in the water, and what's left will come off with a scrub brush and without damaging the pan.

Boil some water in it for a few minutes. Most of the gunk will come off in the water, and what's left will come off with a scrub brush and without damaging the pan.

That works very well but does it remove the seasoning too?

Thanks for all the responses

I use hot water and a scrubber on gunk like that. Soap if need be, too.

Have been doing it for many, many years and my CI is shiny and black.

A little soap is fine if the pan is seasoned.

Make sure you dry it completely, though.

So do I --- So have I ---

I use whatever means necessary to clean my cast iron -- I am as aggressive as I need to be to clean it --

So do I --- So have I ---

I use whatever means necessary to clean my cast iron -- I am as aggressive as I need to be to clean it --

I can see you and shards of steel wool everywhere!

Like I have said before, my mother used to put hers in the dishwasher once in a while and they are COVETABLE pieces still today.

I can see you and shards of steel wool everywhere!

Like I have said before, my mother used to put hers in the dishwasher once in a while and they are COVETABLE pieces still today.

Shards of steel wool?? :LOL: An SOS pad on very rare occasions for something stubborn works wonders....No, it doesn't hurt a thing on a well seasoned piece....

I scrape my CI with a short griddle spatula...works fine. Doesn't seem to hurt the griddle, so I figured it'd be OK.

Back
Top Bottom