Rainbow like patina inside SS pans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm getting a rainbow discolorization inside my all-clad and calphalon triply over the hot spots where the burners (electric) contact. I'm not going above medium-high heat. Is this normal/regular? Do I need to use a differant cleaner besides dishsoap? Should I stop being fussy?

Wow, I'm a believer! barkeepers friend is awesome stuff! My sink's never been this shiny!

Michael Cook said:
Wow, I'm a believer! barkeepers friend is awesome stuff! My sink's never been this shiny!

Any idea whether Barkeeper's friend is available in the UK?

My SS saucepan gets those rainbow hues, but it's pristine clean out of the diswasher so I don't worry about it.:)

" You are visiting Denby UK You are on the UK site ... we recommend a useful tableware cleaning product called 'Barkeeper's Friend' (available in good housewares stores and cookshops) ..."

In the UK is most likely called "Barman's Best Mate" or some such thing! ;)

Hmmm... according to Alton Brown (gear for your kitchen) the rainbow patina comes from too much heat. Guess I'll preheat less.

Barkeepers friend is great for getting out dark discolorations from items being burned. For the rainbow discoloration, you can also use lemon juice (and I think vinegar, as well).

Alton's right...

Hey there...I've had the same thing happen in my Calphalon SS and All-Clad....as other's have said, Barkeeper's Friend does miracles to get rid of the rainbow. Anyway, I noticed you had an electic stove. So do I, and I believe it has caused the problem. I bought an infrared thermometer to measure the surface temperature of my pans after reading the Alton book. I found that my electric stove on Medium made my pans reach close to 575 degrees! I now use Medium as High and adjust down as called for, so Medium Low is my regular temperature used. No more rainbow patina and I don't have to worry so much about inadvertent burning of food :).
Nico

While heat was probably the culprit in this case, cooking starchy foods such as rice or potatoes can also result in a rainbow discoloration. Either way, BKF will do the trick.

Michael Cook said:
Hmmm... according to Alton Brown (gear for your kitchen) the rainbow patina comes from too much heat. Guess I'll preheat less.

According to Chef Kwai Chang Caine, the next time you use the pot, especially for heating up some type of liquid (for argument's sake let's say some leftover chicken soup, with feet), the "rainbow patina" will disappear.

I've seen it rainbow only from dry heat. Had a All-clad copper core sauce pan boil dry and it wasn't rainbowed until it was dry

Back
Top Bottom