Recommended stockpot size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Silver

Senior Cook
Never made stock before - have a 5.8 litres (6qt, I think) dutch oven.

Is that generally big enough or are those big stockpots that are 8-12qts more appropriate?

It all depends on the quantity of your ingredients. I have 6-, 8-, 10-, 12-, and 20-quart pots and use them all even though I have only been cooking for two the last dozen or so years. Before that, cooking for 4 hungry sons, a daughter and husband kept the large pots pressed into service on a regular basis.

I used to buy chicken breasts in 40-pound boxes so, after boning, I had lots and lots of goodies for stock. That's when I used the larger pots. Unfortunately my bulk chicken source is gone, so it's back to the regular market the last couple of years. I also like to use the larger ones to make big pots of chili or stew to divide and store in the freezer.

I also use the larger ones for water-bath canning and sterilizing canning jars, etc. They all have their uses and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I make mostly chicken stock. I save bones and scraps from roasted or grilled birds as well as raw bones and scraps from when I break down whole chickens. I just bag and freeze them as they come and make stock when there's no more room in my freezer. I usually end up using a cheapo 20-quart stock pot to hold all I have accumulated. There's little reason to make small amounts of stock. It takes just as long to make 20 quarts of stock as it does to make 6.

If that is all you have and do not have money for biger pot then use what you have. I have couple of 16 quarts pots. They wer pretty cheap, under $20 bucks.

If you need a really large stockpot for a reasonable price, get one of those black speckled water-bath canners at the discount store. Those things last for years.
I wouldn't try to do any browning in it though...best use a skillet for that. They are really only intended for boiling things.

Just checked with DH, and he says the speckled stuff is made of porcelain coated steel.

Right, more stock makes sense - presuming you have enough leftovers saved up to make a big pot. Andy, that's a great idea to freeze the bits.

I can probably afford a decent quality bigger pot - just wasn't sure how likely I would be to use it. Maybe I should start with what I have and make a 5qt batch and see how likely I am to actually make and/or use it all.

Thanks for the ideas for the cheaper pots, too. I had my eye on this one on Amazon, but hey, if I don't need to spend the money, why bother, right?

Silver - I invested in that Calphalon stockpot years ago and believe it or not I use it more often than I thought I would.

BUT, I use a roughly $10.00 stockpot (about 20 quarts) a good bit too - it holds a brining Thanksgiving turkey GREAT in the fridge! It's just not for browning/sautéing any veggies as it's so thin it starts buckling a bit on the bottom - strictly for liquid use - good stockpot.

What you have now is a good size to start with to see how you like making your own stock.

Silver said:
Right, more stock makes sense - presuming you have enough leftovers saved up to make a big pot. Andy, that's a great idea to freeze the bits.

I can probably afford a decent quality bigger pot - just wasn't sure how likely I would be to use it. Maybe I should start with what I have and make a 5qt batch and see how likely I am to actually make and/or use it all.

Thanks for the ideas for the cheaper pots, too. I had my eye on this one on Amazon, but hey, if I don't need to spend the money, why bother, right?

Hey, Silver. I freeze the bits, too, which is a great way to make a larger bunch of stock. I have the same calphalon pot you have your eye on. Have had it for nearly 30 years. Will last a lifetime.

Before you purchase it, check out Amazon's "Friday Sales." You can almost steal some wonderful goodies.

Katie E said:
Hey, Silver. I freeze the bits, too, which is a great way to make a larger bunch of stock. I have the same calphalon pot you have your eye on. Have had it for nearly 30 years. Will last a lifetime.

Before you purchase it, check out Amazon's "Friday Sales." You can almost steal some wonderful goodies.

Hey Katie, thanks for the tip re the pot and the freezing. Definitely good to know.

Also, it's funny, I just bought the "everyday pan" from the Friday sale a week or so ago for $22.99 and that stock pot was the same price when it was part of the sale as when it's not! I didn't buy it then, but I'm thinking about it and will probably just keep an eye out for the Friday sale prices to see if goes down at all.

Silver said:
Hey Katie, thanks for the tip re the pot and the freezing. Definitely good to know.

Also, it's funny, I just bought the "everyday pan" from the Friday sale a week or so ago for $22.99 and that stock pot was the same price when it was part of the sale as when it's not! I didn't buy it then, but I'm thinking about it and will probably just keep an eye out for the Friday sale prices to see if goes down at all.

Amazon has good sales on stockpots--and a heavy weight one will pay dividends. AND they are available for not a whole lot of money. The Friday Sale is just not as good or inclusive as it used to be. Look under Today's Deals AND the OUtlet--any day, not just Friday. Another good source is overstock.com.
Not to be picky, but I would not get the enamelware "canning" type of kettle--they are too light weight and if you ever want to brown some bones or such for making stock, they will burn--or at least not be real satisfactory.
The point of a stockpot is to have tall sides (always be sure it will fit on top of your stove if you have any unit over it) so that the liquids evaporate and condense back within the pot.

Back
Top Bottom