Reseasoning old ironware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peggy Joan

Assistant Cook
I have several pieces of old ironware and my delimma is should I try to get all the old seasoning off before I reseason it. I can remember my mother use to put hers in an open campfire (but I never really understood why) and now I am assuming this is why,don't know for sure tho. I just know that what black shiny finish that is on the pans will scrap off with my fingernail ( but of course I don't want to clean them like that).
Second question is....... does anyone out there use ironware on a smooth top stove? I have but it really leaves my stove in a mess (Can't just wash it off with a damp rag..have to use the stovetop cleaner) Figured maybe this is because of the seasoning on the outside of the pan.

If you want to clean it all off--or get the most off, run it through your oven cleaning cycle. then re-season. I think one problem on the smooth top stove is possible scratching it also.

Yes, I was disheartened to learn that I couldn't use cast iron on my new smooth top stove. Fortunately I hadn't bought any cast iron yet.

I have a gas cooktop, but I am curious to know what are the charms of the smooth top that makes so many folks choose it? I have to cook on one at my sister's house, and I don't like it at all.

vagriller said:
Yes, I was disheartened to learn that I couldn't use cast iron on my new smooth top stove. Fortunately I hadn't bought any cast iron yet.

There's no reason you can't use cast iron skillets on a smooth top stove. I've been doing it nearly every day for 8 years. I also use LC on it without problem.

They work great.

The stove people tell you not to because they might scratch or break the glass/ceramic top and they don't want to pay for it if it's under warranty.

Peggy Joan,
My cast iron skillets are very well seasoned and they do not dirty my cooktop as you describe.

Chef June,
I moved into a house without a gas line. :-( It's over 100 years old and has remnants of gas lights inside but someone ripped out the gas line. I inherited the ceramic top stove, as it came with the house and was new at the time. I had always hated electric stoves, but I have to say that I have gotten to really like this one.

Last edited:
ChefJune said:
I have a gas cooktop, but I am curious to know what are the charms of the smooth top that makes so many folks choose it? I have to cook on one at my sister's house, and I don't like it at all.

The smoothtop is superior to the traditional electric stove for it's ease of cleaning I think. Those who prefer gas obviously will not like the smoothtop as well. It's just not as fast as gas.

Looking forward to one day getting an induction cooktop.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom