Sam's Club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Just Cooking

Master Chef
(I looked for a proper thread and didn't want to search 992 threads)

Intended for Sam's Club members...

As reported before, Jeannie and I disposed of all household goods in Cali and are starting from scratch in MO.

My question is: Has any Sam's Club member purchased household goods (pots and pans, etc), and is doing so viable from an economic perspective?

Input will be appreciated... :)

Ross

I purchased a mattress from them and they delivered it, taking the old mattress away. Much easier and cheaper for me.

I am considering shopping there as they will ship, at least non-perishables. Sam's is a couple hours from here, but closer than Costco.

Last edited:
I purchased a mattress from them and they delivered it, taking the old mattress away. Much easier and cheaper for me.

I am considering shopping there as they will ship, at least non-perishables. Sam's is a couple hours from here, but closer than Costco.
Thanks, PF..
I had originally planned to open a membership to purchase bedroom furnishings.. I found a great deal on mattress and bed frame (including free shipping) on Amazon, so I went with them. Will probably do likewise with the second bedroom..

I'm thinking more on the lines of kitchen.. Other than my knives and a few personal essentials, I have zero kitchen things.. I need a few small appliances, table settings, serving items, pots and pans, etc.

I do plan on thrift shopping for deals and for the fun of discovery.. :)

Sam's is just minutes away from the apartment complex we are on a waiting list for..

Ross

Last edited:
Check prices between Sam's and Amazon. Are you a prime member? It would be cheaper through Amazon just on shipping charges.

I don't have a Sam's Club membership, but do have a COSTCO membership, and they both have similar products.

The cookware at COSTCO looks decent, and the price is pretty good, but I've never had to fight off a desire to buy any of it.

I am motivated by quality, not quantity, so I tend to go big or go home.

If you are in no hurry (waiting on an apartment), you might do better online, buying things one piece at a time. That way, you get what you want, and only what you want.

Just a thought.

CD

Ross, if you are planning on joining Sam's Club membership only to purchase household goods, I would say don't.

Myself, I also have Costco rather than Sam's, but I have never purchased any of thing for the house from them, well, other than electronics, no pots/pans/small appliances.

Now, on the other hand if you plan on buying groceries at Sam's too, that's a whole other bag of beans.

Do you plan on purchasing a set of pots&pans or open stock?
Me, I've always done open stock and have a variety of different brands and only the pieces that I use.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth today-not a whole lot :LOL:

I shop at both regularly, but for overall selection of goods Costco does better, at least where I go. Sam's and Costco are practically across the street from one each other.

Sam's often irritates me though. They don't carry certain common goods such as lactose free milk, for instance. If Sam's does not carry something common, chances are Costco does.

I would suggest you monitor slickdeals.net. You can also sign up for alerts. They commonly have notices for the best sales of household goods.

All Clad has "factory seconds" sales every few months through homeandcooksales.com. Occasionally Macy's (of all places!) has some items at really good prices. I picked up an All Clad skillet for 20% less than it was selling for on the seconds sale, and an Oxo scale at 40% or 50% off. They periodically have Oxo items at discounted prices. BB&B 20% off or $5 off $15 coupons work for Oxo.

Check prices between Sam's and Amazon. Are you a prime member? It would be cheaper through Amazon just on shipping charges.
Yes, I'm a Prime member.. Actually, the free shipping on my bed and mattress has saved me the year membership charge.. I buy frequently from Amazon..

Ross

I don't have a Sam's Club membership, but do have a COSTCO membership, and they both have similar products.

The cookware at COSTCO looks decent, and the price is pretty good, but I've never had to fight off a desire to buy any of it.

I am motivated by quality, not quantity, so I tend to go big or go home.

If you are in no hurry (waiting on an apartment), you might do better online, buying things one piece at a time. That way, you get what you want, and only what you want.

Just a thought.

CD

A good thought.. Thanks, CD..

Ross

Ross, if you are planning on joining Sam's Club membership only to purchase household goods, I would say don't.

Myself, I also have Costco rather than Sam's, but I have never purchased any of thing for the house from them, well, other than electronics, no pots/pans/small appliances.

Now, on the other hand if you plan on buying groceries at Sam's too, that's a whole other bag of beans.

Do you plan on purchasing a set of pots&pans or open stock?
Me, I've always done open stock and have a variety of different brands and only the pieces that I use.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth today-not a whole lot :LOL:

Your two cents are always of value to me... I'm an open stock kinda guy..:)

I had Costco in Cali and Sam's when we lived in MO before.. I find that we just don't buy enough in bulk to warrant the membership charge anymore.. I was considering kitchen goods but all these comments have me leaning towards not getting the SC membership..

Ross

I shop at both regularly, but for overall selection of goods Costco does better, at least where I go. Sam's and Costco are practically across the street from one each other.

Sam's often irritates me though. They don't carry certain common goods such as lactose free milk, for instance. If Sam's does not carry something common, chances are Costco does.

No Costco in this area.. I've always preferred Costco over Sam's..
Thanks for your comments, roadfix...

Ross

I would suggest you monitor slickdeals.net. You can also sign up for alerts. They commonly have notices for the best sales of household goods.

All Clad has "factory seconds" sales every few months through homeandcooksales.com. Occasionally Macy's (of all places!) has some items at really good prices. I picked up an All Clad skillet for 20% less than it was selling for on the seconds sale, and an Oxo scale at 40% or 50% off. They periodically have Oxo items at discounted prices. BB&B 20% off or $5 off $15 coupons work for Oxo.

Thanks for the suggestions and links, tenspeed...

There seems to be a lot of good sites to look through...

Ross

In Hawaii at least, if you worked for so and so or had a membership with this or that, you could get a one day guest membership at Sam's, for free.
DH and I did that and purchased the patio set that we really wanted.

Not sure if they do the same in MO, Ross, but if you did see something say on their website and were interested in going to the store for that item, it may work out to be financially beneficial *shrug*
But yeah, if you guys aren't buying bulk anymore...

But then here's another thought: does your daughter have a membership? does she buy in bulk? I'd wager not, because for their small household... so why not combine forces?
We did that in Hawaii as well.
I would go shopping, bring it all home, Food Saver package everything up and split everything with my Mom and Dad. Dad would write me a check for went he "bought" from me and everyone saved money, got a better quality of meat (at least in Hawaii it was) and loads of TP and paper towels.
Mom thought it was silly for Dad and I to do this, until she saw the savings on the grocery bill. :mellow:

I have another thought about stocking your kitchen. IF you have a Discover credit card you can use your cashback bonus towards store gift cards. I "collect" $25 dollar cards by "buying" them with $20 worth of bonus, then flip them over to buying something at BedBathandBeyond using the store's 20% discount coupon. Over the years I've acquired free coffee makers (probably 3), each of my two toaster ovens, the food processor, the Griddler, the coffee grinder... And numerous pots, pans, and hand tools (knives, etc).

In Hawaii at least, if you worked for so and so or had a membership with this or that, you could get a one day guest membership at Sam's, for free.
DH and I did that and purchased the patio set that we really wanted.

Not sure if they do the same in MO, Ross, but if you did see something say on their website and were interested in going to the store for that item, it may work out to be financially beneficial *shrug*
But yeah, if you guys aren't buying bulk anymore...

But then here's another thought: does your daughter have a membership? does she buy in bulk? I'd wager not, because for their small household... so why not combine forces?
We did that in Hawaii as well.
I would go shopping, bring it all home, Food Saver package everything up and split everything with my Mom and Dad. Dad would write me a check for went he "bought" from me and everyone saved money, got a better quality of meat (at least in Hawaii it was) and loads of TP and paper towels.
Mom thought it was silly for Dad and I to do this, until she saw the savings on the grocery bill. :mellow:

We have talked about sharing a membership, now that they have purchased a home which is twice the size of their rental.. That's possibly the way we will go..

Ross

I have another thought about stocking your kitchen. IF you have a Discover credit card you can use your cashback bonus towards store gift cards. I "collect" $25 dollar cards by "buying" them with $20 worth of bonus, then flip them over to buying something at BedBathandBeyond using the store's 20% discount coupon. Over the years I've acquired free coffee makers (probably 3), each of my two toaster ovens, the food processor, the Griddler, the coffee grinder... And numerous pots, pans, and hand tools (knives, etc).

Uh huh... I have been using built up points for Amazon purchases.. Used some to get my $85 IP special price down to $50.. Plus I get 10% moving discount from Amazon for 90 days.. I will add another 90 days when we move into our own apartment.. :)

Jeannie has points accumulated also, on her cards.. We will use hers also..

Ross

thumbsup.jpg

At least around here Costco also has Costco Business Centers which caters mostly to business owners but open to all members. There you will find lots of kitchen equipment, appliances, and utensils, mostly commercial quality.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom