Seasoned new CI pan - now it's sticky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
So I tried to season my new CI grill pan and ended up with a sticky pan. Apparently I left it in the oven too long and didn't get to wipe out any excess oil (I did turn it upside down). How can I fix this problem? It will probably be two weeks before I can use the oven again. I don't use it when it's hot outside. Gotta conserve money (and energy). :)

Hi, mj1. You could try heating it up to 350 F again nad leaving it in the oven for an hour or more. If that doesn;t work, you'll have to cook off the sticky mess and start over. I use my gas grill for that. Turn it on full blast with pan inside and let it burn off all the crud. You end up with a brand new unseasoned pan.

To start over, coat the pan all over (both sides) with shortening (very little) and put it into a 350 F oven for an hour. Then turn off the oven and leave the pan in to cool down.

Like Andy said, very little.
Sounds like you used too much oil the first time.

I'm willing to bet you used oil instead of Crisco. Oil will make the pan sticky. I never use it - I only go with Crisco because it "dries" without being sticky.

Is the food sticking or just the surface feels sticky? If it's just that it FEELS sticky, try cooking with it. My new pans felt sticky after I seasoned them until I actually cooked something in them. Now the sticky feeling is gone and they are as nonstick with the food as my old pans.

Yes what Andy said is right. Definately use shortning. Oil will make the pan stick almost always.

Thank you for saying almost always :)
I've never had a problem using vegetable oil. You just need to go light, like I said.

Using oil instead of shortening shouldn't matter. The pan will be sticky if there is too much of either or if it's not heated long enough.

Yes shortening can get sticky. My first seasoning attempt was with Crisco. I figured if a little was good then more would be better. I was wrong. It did get sticky.

Follow Andy's advice and you will be good to go.

I actually did use Crisco. Since the pan was new I washed it with water and a little soap. Then I towel dried it. Then I rubbed the Crisco into the inside of it. I tried to apply a thin later but I may have used just a little too much, it's hard to tell. Then I placed the pan upside down in the oven and turned it on to 350 degrees. After 60 minutes I turned the oven off and left the pan in there. I took it out maybe three or four hours later and it was sticky. I haven't done anything with it since then.

So I should just place it in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes, without putting anymore Crisco in it? And should I leave it in there until it's completely cooled or take it out before that and wipe away any excess oil (if there is any)?

Yes, just put it back in the oven for another hour. No need to wipe it out if it's upside down. Excess Crisco will run out when it melts.

Thank you, I will give that a try.

But even if I used too much Crisco the first time, why did it make the pan sticky if it was upside down? It seems like turning the pan upside down should've prevented it from getting sticky. It really doesn't make sense to me. I'd like to have a good understanding for when I get a CI skillet. Especially since I'll probably be using that a lot.

Thank you, I will give that a try.

But even if I used too much Crisco the first time, why did it make the pan sticky if it was upside down? It seems like turning the pan upside down should've prevented it from getting sticky. It really doesn't make sense to me. I'd like to have a good understanding for when I get a CI skillet. Especially since I'll probably be using that a lot.

It may not have been in the oven long enough. When you reheat the CI, go for two hours instead of one. Nor harm will come to the pan from the longer cooking.

I would just add once I season the first thing I do is cook bacon..... I think it helps... if not its tasty anyway

I'm with PanchoHambre - Cook bacon every time you get a chance in that pan. It's tasty, and if anyone asks, just tell them it's for the CI.

So I was finally able to put the pan in a 350 degree oven for two hours. The pan's not exactly sticky now but it does feel strange. I suppose it sort of has the stickiness of the rubber on a Rubbermaid utensil. I don't know how else to describe it. Any suggestions on what I should do now? Should I try cooking bacon in it? I'm used to cooking bacon in the microwave so I'm afraid I might screw up and make matters worse.

Yes cook bacon in it. You can not screw up CI by cooking bacon. It will only make it better.

So I was finally able to put the pan in a 350 degree oven for two hours. The pan's not exactly sticky now but it does feel strange. I suppose it sort of has the stickiness of the rubber on a Rubbermaid utensil. I don't know how else to describe it. Any suggestions on what I should do now? Should I try cooking bacon in it? I'm used to cooking bacon in the microwave so I'm afraid I might screw up and make matters worse.

You're stressing out over something that is normal. When you put oil or grease on cast iron and let "dry" you are always going to feel a certain amount of stickiness. The oil doesn't disappear but there isn't a problem here. Just cook on it the way you intend to and don't worry about the stickiness. I put a paper towel over my pans so that the stickiness doesn't attract dust. Enjoy your pans, you've done it right.

I agree with DramaQueen - you're stressing over something that is perfectly normal with a cast-iron pan. I don't understand what all the hoopla & 2 pages of advice is all about. I've been cooking with cast-iron pans for over 30 years & the early "stickiness" of a new pan just disappears with time & use. It's completely NORMAL. No need to continue "seasoning" it or jumping through other hoops.

Just start cooking with it!!!!! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom