Silicone Bakeware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mimi1951

Assistant Cook
Do you lower temperature when using silicone cookware to keep it from burning? Or reduce the time? I have tried everything I can think of, but everything burns on the bottom. Thanks.:(

I've noticed that with some rolls I've cooked, but not with cakes and casseroles

I watch my time more carefully now and check the rolls and haven't had that problem though the bottom is very brown.

You could try turning the oven off for the last 1/4 of the baking time and let the residual heat finish it off. That should help keep the bottom from getting too much heat at the end at least?

Thanks. I tried the silicone again this past weekend making cakes, and they both burned.......I had tried turning the temperature down but when I took one of them out, it was not done, but burnt on the bottom.

After all the bad reports I've heard about this stuff, I have no intentions of buying any. It sounds like the latest scam, to me! Best thing to do with it is to return it to where you bought it and demand a refund. Then write to the manufacturer explaining why you did it.

I actually like mine and am quite pleased in general. They're the same principle as Silpats used by bakers for years. I like my Silpats too. The main difference is the absence of the glass weave inside.

I don't think they're the best for everything, but I like them for baking of breads, cookies, cakes and that sort of thing.

thymeless

thymeless said:
I actually like mine and am quite pleased in general. They're the same principle as Silpats used by bakers for years. I like my Silpats too. The main difference is the absence of the glass weave inside.

I don't think they're the best for everything, but I like them for baking of breads, cookies, cakes and that sort of thing.

thymeless

This seems a little like apples and oranges here. I wonder if mimi1951 is speaking about silicone cake pans, loaf pans, etc. rather than nonstick mats such as Silpat and other Teflon-like sheets. I have a supply of the Teflon-like sheets that I use all the time, have had for years and have given to my daughter. We're both more than pleased with their performance.

As for the cookware, I don't have any but am considering getting a couple of loaf pans to bake something called bacon-and-egg bread that my youngest brother created. No matter how I grease my regular loaf pans, this bread sticks, sticks, sticks. It darn near takes a jackhammer to clean the pans. I figure the silicone will come to my aid.

I have silicone loaf pans and have never had a problem with anything burning. I would have to agree with thymeless and say turn off oven the last 1/4 of baking time.

Katie E said:
This seems a little like apples and oranges here....

The post you quote was about Daisy's comments. I was pointing out that silicone bakeware in some form has been around a while with good results. I have the loaf pans, cake pans and such too in silicone. They have their uses.

Back
Top Bottom