Steaming with wok, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leoncook

Assistant Cook
I got a carbon steel wok that is seasoned. I used it for steaming. Afterward, some of the seasoning comes off in powder form when I wipe my finger on it. What am I doing wrong?

I doubt that is normal. If it was, then it means I would have to clean off the black powder each use. And then reapply a coating of seasoning to maintain the carbon steel. That does not sound very convenient.

How do cooks switch from stir-frying to steaming and vice versa so easily?

I just re-season it with a light film of oil, heat the wok gently on the stove. Wipe out with paper towel.
Or use something else to steam.

Is this inside or outside the wok?
My carbon steel wok stays bright and shiny on the inside.
I just do as Wyogal does.

Or use something else to steam.
Have no extra space. The kitchen is shared with 3 others. So I really do not feel like getting a new wok/pot that is 12".

The 10" steamer is slightly bigger than my 10" pot. So it does not seat properly. If I use that anyways, the steam just gathers on the steamer walls and drip out. So I have to use my wok that is bigger.

Also, the selection of steamer is limited to 10" or 6". 6" is too small.

Is this inside or outside the wok?
Of course the inside.

I bought an aluminum steaming ring. It fits between the pot and steamer, and accomodates differing pan sizes. Amazon.com: Helen Chen's Asian Kitchen 11-Inch Steaming Ring: Home & Garden

You will be able to use a different pan, and not have to worry about the seasoning on your wok. You will, however, have that white powdery residue--I think that is calcium from hard water, and a little splash of vinegar will remove it easily.

Back
Top Bottom