Stovetop cooking with Pyrex Visions cookware?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anchita

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone!

I'm a newbie here, and came across this site searching the web for some info about Pyrex cookware. There seem to be some really enthusiastic and knowledgeable people around, which led me to believe I could possibly get some guidance concerning my problem here. Can anyone tell me if one can actually use the Pyrex (Amber) Visions line of cookware on the stovetop? I've seen this claimed at many places, especially the ones that are selling them on auction etc., but I find it hard to swallow that glassware such as pyrex can be used on the stovetop. Is their a chemical difference between the usual pyrex stuff and its Visions line that allows the latter to be used on the stovetop? And are there only certain types of stovetops that it can be used on? Does one have to follow a special heating/cooking technique and precautions while using this type of cookware on the stove? I'm really tempted to use this cookware for my stovetop cooking needs, but having no experience with it, I'd appreciate if you can share your experience and knowledge about this with me. I have an electric stove and the only pyrex I've used before is for storage and some baking.

Thanks for your time,
Anchita

Anchita, that is all I use. I love my visions and use it everywhere. As long as you don't drop it on a ceramic tile floor it is darned near indestructible. One caution though, you need to get used to cooking differently with these. They REALLY retain the heat. You will need to use a lower setting for EVERYTHING you make. I hope you enjoy them, I love mine.

Oh yes, sorry...my range is electric as well, but I have used them on a gas stove with no worries either. And I have been using these for about 15 years or so I think. Don't worry, they will not blow up on the stove top, they are tough.

Thanks Alix, for your prompt and very helpful resoponse! I'll keep in mind what you said about their heat retention, and look forward to cooking with them.

Thanks again,
Anchita

1) Follow the instructions that come with your cookware!!!

2) Never ever set a hot glass pot on a cold metal surface!!! Use a wooden trivet/cutting board or a cloth pot holder or folded up towel to set it on.

3) Never add cold liquid to a hot glass pot ... unless in very small increments - again to prevent too rapid of a temperature change. And NEVER if the pot has boiled dry!!!

4) Let the pot come to room temp before you stick it in the sink or try to wash it.

This is glass cookware - and it is more subject to thermal shock than metal. With metal the worst would be you'll just warp a pot - glass can explode. Like Alix said, this stuff retains heat. Back in 2000-2001 there was a class action laysuit - and Visions was pulled from the shelves in Canada at least for a while - due to injuries. From what I remember readying it sounded like all of the injuries were thermal shock related.

Thanks Michael, for the very informative reply. It makes perfect sense. Will be careful while using it!

Also, be careful what you expect it to do. In my experience, Visions cookwear is often hard to clean. Maybe I was just using it wrong, but everything except soups seemed to stick to the glass.

To shed light on the thermal shock problem, all glass shares the property of being very stiff and not at all flexible. When metal is taken from a very hot condition and immersed into a very cold environement, the material contracts rapidly. Due to rapid expansion/contraction characteristics of the metal, the outter surface changes more rapidly than does the core. This is what creates the warping. Metal is malleable and so doesn't catastrophicaly shatter. Glass doesn't bend. Instead, as the surface is rapidly cooled or heated, it changes its size rapidly with respect to the inner material. This puts extreme pressure loads on the material causing it to catastrphicaly fail, often resulting in flying shrapnel. All glass and ceramics share this problem, as does ice.

When used properly, Visions cookwear is tough stuff. Used improperly, it's jsut as dangerous as any other glass utensile. It has its strengths, and weaknesses.

Oh one more thing, both enamled cast-iron, such as Le-Crueset, and regular cast-iron pans can also shatter when placed in very cold water after being taken directly from the heat. They aren't nearly as prone to this as is glass cookwear though.

And both Pyrex and Corning glass pots have been is service for use on cooktops long before the Visions line came out.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

You know, I was reading the "Don't do" list for Visions and I have to say...done all of it. Oops! I am either very lucky, or I have extra tough pots. I have to say that I have used many different types of cookware, and I keep coming back to these. They are easy, and extremely versatile. I can toss the whole pot in the oven to keep warm, I can put it in the microwave, use it on the stove or the BBQ for that matter. I always put it on a cork hot pad when I take it off the stove, but that is more to keep it from burning the crap out of my counter than anything else. I have put it right into a sinkful of water to wash it (I know! I know...bad Alix!) and I have poured cold water into a hot Visions with no bad results. I AM NOT ADVOCATING YOU DO ANY OF THESE STUPID THINGS! As has been pointed out, they are NOT smart. I am just saying that you don't need to be really anal retentive about using these pots, if you screw up you will probably be fine. Don't stress...just cook and have fun. The biggest deal is the heat retention, just turn your stove down.

I also have been using Visions on the stove for years. Another good rule is always check for cracks before cooking, and don't preheat the burner. The pot has to start on a cold burner, and heat with it. An easy way to clean them is to always spray Pam into them first, and if you still have stuck-on food, put an inch of water and a few drops of dishsoap in(after it has cooled down) and heat it back up. As the water heats, scrap bottom with a spatula. It should come right up.

Visions Cookware Explodes!

Hello Chefs!

Tonight we had a 2 quart Visions cookware saucepan EXPLODE into bits on our stove. It looked like brown crushed ice all over the stove, counter, and floor. I wouldn't have believed it had it not happened in our own kitchen!

We've had our Visions for at least a decade and have used it regularly. It was in good shape (no chips or cracks) and it was not experiencing a sudden temperature change either. My wife was bringing potatoes to a boil. It wasn't boiling quite yet, when it simply shattered into a thousand glass chips in a 5 foot radius.

Had my wife been standing closer she certainly would've been injured. I researched around the web and learned that our exploding Visions cookware problem isn't isolated and people have actually suffered life-threatening injuries from Visions cookware exploding just like ours did.

Here are a couple of places I found that discussion on Visions cookware http://www.ellenskitchen.com/forum/messages/387.html & http://boards.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/WebX.fcgi?14@204.zWKocyqN3KR%5E0@.ef114da/654

Decide for yourself, but we are throwing all of our Visions into the garbage. The replacements won't be Corning or glass.

anchita said:
Hi Everyone!

I'm a newbie here, and came across this site searching the web for some info about Pyrex cookware. There seem to be some really enthusiastic and knowledgeable people around, which led me to believe I could possibly get some guidance concerning my problem here. Can anyone tell me if one can actually use the Pyrex (Amber) Visions line of cookware on the stovetop? I've seen this claimed at many places, especially the ones that are selling them on auction etc., but I find it hard to swallow that glassware such as pyrex can be used on the stovetop. Is their a chemical difference between the usual pyrex stuff and its Visions line that allows the latter to be used on the stovetop? And are there only certain types of stovetops that it can be used on? Does one have to follow a special heating/cooking technique and precautions while using this type of cookware on the stove? I'm really tempted to use this cookware for my stovetop cooking needs, but having no experience with it, I'd appreciate if you can share your experience and knowledge about this with me. I have an electric stove and the only pyrex I've used before is for storage and some baking.

Thanks for your time,
Anchita

Yes, you most certainly can.

I own a set of this cookware that I've had for about 17 years now, and yes, I've used it on the stovetop and in the oven. I like it very much!:chef:

i've had a visions pot explode on me also. not sure what caused it as it was just sitting on a burner on low, simmering some soup, and boom, like moosecooking said, bits of glass everywhere.

i've also found that most foods will burn and stick to it becuase of uneven heat distribution, because of the properties of glass.

so, i will stay with metal pots and pans from now on, except for a glass baking dish that i use for things like stuffing, which i need to see the amount of liquid in the bottom of the pan.

I've never had a problem with Visions pans, and I've probably done everything they said not to do in the instructions as well. I occasionally had something stick and it was hard to clean, but that happens no more often than with metal pans. They're fine really.

I never had one explode, that's for sure, although I did get a nice little gift from a friend one time of a couple of pretty red and green glass mugs (I don't know if they were Pyrex or not) with those nice chocolate spoons and some gourmet coffee. Christmas morning I went and filled the green mug with coffee and was just about to bring it to my lips for a sip and BOOM!!! Scalding hot coffee and the tiniest little bits of green glass flew everywhere! I was picking green glass out of my hair all day long. It was almost like it turned to sand. Of course the gift giver felt just terrible, but other than a few minor burns on my hand it was no big deal. Must have been a bubble in the glass. Scared the bejeebers out of me as I stood there in the kitchen with only the handle left in my hand...

BC

I've never had a problem with any of mine either, though they DO stick if you're not careful with the heat level under the pans.

If sticking or slight burning of the food occurs, just spray some Dawn Power Dissolver in the pot or pan, wait for 15 minutes and rinse the residue out with warm water. The cleaner should just lift the stuff right out.

Use a very stiff tough plastic spatula or a plastic scouring pad to help, if desired.

~Corey123.

Hi Anchita,
The problem with the exploding cookware is China ! All the older Pyrex,Corning and Visions were made in the USA....now it is all made in China ! Look for these items that were made in the US & you'll be fine. I find my cookware at Goodwill, and yardsales....it's inexpensive and so far made in the USA !! Reject any made in China...they use materials that are not approved for temperature changes . I hope this helps.

mine are all very old. i have used in the micro and on gas stove top. never had a problem. i did notice as they have gotten older the lids don't fit as well as they did when new.

Pyrex is a brand name; originally owned by Corning Glass.

sources say it is still manufactured in USA
PYREX

but its formulation has changed. originally Pyrex was made from borosilicate glass - this has a very low expansion factor which made it so good for temperature extremes and rapid temperature changes.

it is now made from soda lime glass (same basic type as window panes) and is not as resistant to rapid temperature changes - both glass types are "tempered" or annealed in tekkie terms.

any small chip in even the "old" Pyrex can lead to failure - but the "new" soda lime stuff is much more prone to "exploding"

Pyrex Visions Cookware It's fine to use it on your stove top. Boil, fry, saute, etc. It's very sturdy and will last for years, just be careful not to drop it
on a tiled floor. I did just that and the handle broke off. I had that pot for 15 years. It broke my heart. I found another one, online, so I recovered quickly. :)

Don't be scared. Buy yourself a small Pyrex pot or frying pan and take it for a test drive. I'll wager you'll like it. GOOD LUCK!!

Back
Top Bottom