Substituting cast iron skillet for pizza stone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
I don't have a pizza stone. If I just preheat my cast iron skillet in the oven on high, then throw a pizza in it to bake quickly, would the CI skillet act like a pizza stone and produce a good crust? Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance! :chef:

I don't have a pizza stone. If I just preheat my cast iron skillet in the oven on high, then throw a pizza in it to bake quickly, would the CI skillet act like a pizza stone and produce a good crust? Tell me what you think. Thanks in advance! :chef:

Yes. But the only problem with the cast iron is that since it is a seasoned metal, with an patina, it will smoke. I have put my largest cast iron pan on the barbecue and used it to make really tasty pizza, with a hint of smokey flavor from the burning charcoal.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It will work well as a means of providing direct heat for the crust. However, stones are porous and draw moisture from the crust. CI will not do that. It will be better than no skillet at all.

Thanks GW and Andy. That bit about the stone's moisture absorption property is great info. To get around the CI's deficiency, I'll make small thin-crust pizzas and see what happens.

Toast/crisp it first on the CI, then off for toppings, then put pizza on the rack to help dry out the crust. Works for me in the grill anyway. I like to toast/crisp both sides.

Let us know how it goes, take pix!:D

It rocks. I had no moisture issues. No smoking issues either. We used a bit of olive oil rubbed on the Iron before we put the crust on. I suggest trying it for yourself.

I have never used a pizza stone, or a cast iron skillet for pizza- what is the purpose? I normally just prebake my home-made crust for 7 minutes on a normal pizza pan, then top with ingredients, then bake for 15 or so minutes and its perfect. I do have a nice 10 or 12? inch skillet here....

If you pre-heat the cast iron you don't need to pre-bake the home-made crust. when you put the crust on the iron it starts to cook right away. then top it, then bake it for a few minutes. It really turns out perfect. not to say I won't try other methods, but this is my go to way of doing a good pizza.

Back
Top Bottom