Tin or stainless steel lined?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chok120

Assistant Cook
Hi

I am a beginner cook and would like to invest in some copperware. I've seen tin and stainless steel lined cookware in the Mauviel range. Which is better?

Thanks

Yash

The SS requires less care and will last longer. The tin wears off and re-tinning is an expensive proposition.

Do both SS and tin need to be greased before or after cooking? Or is it just a case of wash and dry?

I like the tin lining for some sauteing and for sauce pans etc. It cooks well, naturally darkens, etc. With care it lasts and retinning is not a problem. However, for HOT pan work, tin melts at 460F so I always have some stainless lined copper for that cooking, be it in the oven or the stove top. THe stainless costs more now, and depending on how you cook may save you money. It certainly is "worry free".

SS lined copper

I started out years ago with tin lined but when I had a chance to use the SS lined it was all over for me. I once left a tin lined on the stove and forgot it. You know the results. I found a place in Penn. that retinned it but the job they did was quite poor.

Btw, I use a rust remover solution from Home Depot (Zep brand) twice a year to get the oxidation off the copper. This process couldn't be simpler, just wipe and rinse and the copper is as new.

If it is a choice, then for me it is SS and only SS.

George

Chok120,
If it is not too late, I recommend you to check Falk from Belgium. They are the producers of the base cooper lined with SS material that Mauviel uses on their appliances. I am not sure about prices (I purchased mine in Belgium) in USA, but Falk was significantly cheaper and their cooper is brushed finish, so you don't have to worry much about polishing. In addition, I have 5 pots made by Baumalu (French, cooper tin lined) which are superb for making sauces and all sort of egg preparations. I hope this info helped you.

Chok120,
Pots are alot like other things. It is amazing for example how much money one can spend on a set of golf clubs but they never stop buying a different/new club. It has been that way for me with cookware. What kind of pots do you have now and what do you like to cook? Enamel cast iron acts differently than Allclad copper core or Allclad copper chef. Lodge cast iron or Brazilian soap stone dutch ovens react differently too. Borrow a pot and try it on your stove since electric and gas are different to cook on. I wouldn't give up any but yes wysiwyg is right if you are intense on sauces copper with a tin lining is great but I would also like gas to cook on for the sauces.

As oneoffour mentioned, try as much as you can doing the stuff you enjoy the most and consider you heating source !!!! I have gas appliances, to me they provide the best heating control.
In addition, if you will be using tin lined pots, don't forget to use the good old wooden spoon as steel ones most likely damage the tin coating (and will also draw heat from whatever you are cooking)
Finally, as for cleaning cooper I don't use brands or cleaners... since is oxidized cooper, any strong acid will clean it. And vinegar and/or lemon juice are a more than suitable option, when mixed with a pinch of salt (for scrapping the surface)
I hope this info helps

I am not sure about prices now (Dollar is low relative to the Euro), but is probably worth checking if it is cheaper to travel to Belgium, get to Leuven and purchase Falk at their factory store. I know that hotels in Brussels are very inexpensive in August.
I read the same for Mauviel (their factory is apparently two hours drive from Paris), but I have not been there.

Back
Top Bottom